Acetone and tranny fluid !!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #21  
Acetone does have a low flash point (the temperature at which it produces flammable vapors). It also burns with an invisible flame like alcohol. Tricky stuff.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #22  
Yes, but gasoline dissolves oil forming a solution. Acetone OTOH, forms a suspension with ATF. You have to keep it shaken up or it settles out. Such has ~no effect on vapor pressure and thus flashpoint.larry

now that, there, could be an issue.

When I mix up atf / acteone, I generally put in a couple of other things just for that reason right there, a different solvent. hexane, naptha, etc so i don't have to set and constantly shake it. I like soloution way better than suspension or emulsion.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #23  
now that, there, could be an issue.

When I mix up atf / acteone, I generally put in a couple of other things just for that reason right there, a different solvent. hexane, naptha, etc so i don't have to set and constantly shake it. I like soloution way better than suspension or emulsion.
Intresting. Which works best? Also bringing up the point - why not gas and ATF? Perhaps its the thinness/lo viscosity of the ATF acetone solution above the part that will settle out ... and if so; What %ATF will form a solution with acetone? Beyond that are we wasting ATF?

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #24  
Intresting. Which works best? Also bringing up the point - why not gas and ATF? Perhaps its the thinness/lo viscosity of the ATF acetone solution above the part that will settle out ... and if so; What %ATF will form a solution with acetone? Beyond that are we wasting ATF?

i hate the smell of raw gas.. so avoid it as a 'thinner' solvent. I've found most anything that gas could be used as a slvent for.. naptha works fine for.. for obvious reason.

in my atf/acetone coctail, i found nason medium reducer or hexane made a stable mix.. it still evapped decently if left uncovered. not as bad as acetone.. but still. adding naptha, and to a further extent, mineral spirits to it FURTHER increased the time it took to flash off.

couldn't tell you the % mix as I make it up in the shop as needed and use calibrated 'glug-glug method. i'm sure the naptha/mineral spirits are doing much of the atf solvation.. and the hexane/medium reducer are what is making the acetone and petro solvents play nice(er)

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #25  
I've been using the 50/50 mix since I heard about it on a certain (unique) car forum...probably 7-8 years ago...

I keep the mixture in a mason jar with a good seal and pour it into a pumping oil can when I'm working on something requiring it...if your container does not seal completely the acetone will evaporate away over time....

Myself, I try to avoid storing such volatiles in glass containers...camping stores sell aluminum fuel "bottles" that work well.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #26  
Myself, I try to avoid storing such volatiles in glass containers...camping stores sell aluminum fuel "bottles" that work well.

The problem may be the plastic caps that are used to seal the aluminum bottles. Acetone eats most plastics.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #27  
Acetone is an excellent water displacer. I used to work for a geochemistry professor who used acetone to remove water from samples. He'd wash the sample in acetone and then let the acetone evaporate so that the pulverized rock had zero moisture. Of course, the guy had no common sense about safety. I caught him putting acetone into the same storage cabinet as perchloric acid. Any organic solvent in the same cabinet as any acid is a no-no, but reagent grade perchloric acid will explode immediately when it comes in contact with organics. This same professor had a scar on the back of his hand where he carelessly came into contact with perchloric acid. Despite his carelessness, he was a brilliant scientist who discovered micro-craters in Moon rock samples. But to stay on topic, acetone's ability to displace moisture may be one of the reasons it works so well with tranny fluid as a penetrating lubricant.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #28  
in my atf/acetone coctail, i found nason medium reducer or hexane made a stable mix..

That's interesting....maybe I will add some reducer to my mix....

I keep a tiny clear polyethylene squeeze bottle with the ATV/acetone 50-50 mix, and it does
separate pretty quickly after shaking it up. It sure may work better than the ubiquitous
Liquid Wrench or PBBlaster, but the advantage the latter products have is the aerosol can
with wand. Much easier to get it where you want it.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #29  
Acetone is an excellent water displacer. I used to work for a geochemistry professor who used acetone to remove water from samples. He'd wash the sample in acetone and then let the acetone evaporate so that the pulverized rock had zero moisture. Of course, the guy had no common sense about safety. I caught him putting acetone into the same storage cabinet as perchloric acid. Any organic solvent in the same cabinet as any acid is a no-no, but reagent grade perchloric acid will explode immediately when it comes in contact with organics. This same professor had a scar on the back of his hand where he carelessly came into contact with perchloric acid. Despite his carelessness, he was a brilliant scientist who discovered micro-craters in Moon rock samples. But to stay on topic, acetone's ability to displace moisture may be one of the reasons it works so well with tranny fluid as a penetrating lubricant.

Interesting.

What about diluting the AFT-acetone mixture with mineral spirits or turpentine (organic)? Would this be a problem? :eek:

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #30  
Interesting.

What about diluting the AFT-acetone mixture with mineral spirits or turpentine (organic)? Would this be a problem? :eek:

i can tell you that atf/acetone /mineral spirits doesn't blow up.. I've used it.. etc..