Acetone and tranny fluid !!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #1  

Bday

Silver Member
Tractor
53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A
Thought I'd mention to the guys that didn't know about this mixture. I found it on another tractor forum. The guy's there tested all market sold rust busters, and said the mixture of 50/50 acetone tranny fluid beat everything hands down. Every time I use it on rusted bolts and fixtures it proves to work great. We tore an IH wide front down today. The axle tubes wouldn't budge. We heated and hammered, they would not budge. Soaked them with this mixture in 6 hrs could slide them out by hand. Try it. It works!!!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #2  
remember to agitate often!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #3  
I realize that most members adhere to safe measures when working with chemicals, but I wish to insert this warning. I once worked at a major boat manufacturer in Acetone Recovery. Acetone is highly volatile and is a flash explosive.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #5  
Good information - thanks, creekbend.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #6  
Thought I'd mention to the guys that didn't know about this mixture. I found it on another tractor forum. The guy's there tested all market sold rust busters, and said the mixture of 50/50 acetone tranny fluid beat everything hands down. Every time I use it on rusted bolts and fixtures it proves to work great. We tore an IH wide front down today. The axle tubes wouldn't budge. We heated and hammered, they would not budge. Soaked them with this mixture in 6 hrs could slide them out by hand. Try it. It works!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I may well try it next time i need to unstuck something rusty if my usual Kroil or brake fluid don't do the job.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #7  
The OP formula is a variation of Ed's Red bore cleaner used for gun cleaning. A penetrating oil test by Machinist Workshop magazine had the following results for removing rusted identical nuts in a scientific environment..

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !!
I realize that most members adhere to safe measures when working with chemicals, but I wish to insert this warning. I once worked at a major boat manufacturer in Acetone Recovery. Acetone is highly volatile and is a flash explosive.

The tranny fluid must affect the flashpoint of the acetone. We were and have use rose buds around the mixture. As with anything flammable I wouldn't recommend using heat around an open can or large amount of the stuff! Mixture appears to boil more than ignite when exposed to flame,but I'm not trying to get any flame around a large amount! Common sense must be applied!!!!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #9  
Acetone had a boiling point of around 150degreesF. The gas given off is highly combustible..

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #10  
The tranny fluid must affect the flashpoint of the acetone. We were and have use rose buds around the mixture. As with anything flammable I wouldn't recommend using heat around an open can or large amount of the stuff! Mixture appears to boil more than ignite when exposed to flame,but I'm not trying to get any flame around a large amount! Common sense must be applied!!!!

Both of those ingredients will burn although the Tranny fluid is much higher temp for ignition. Maybe the acetone was burning with an almost invisible flame that you didnt see. I use my used motor oil and hydraulic oil to burn brush piles with and it is a good fire starter.
Try your 50/50 mix in the dark and see if it burns.