My Longevity Mig200S

/ My Longevity Mig200S #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
First , Thank You Simon and Longevity Crew !! Ordered Wednesday , Here Saturday !!:thumbsup:

O.K. , Although not a " Big " Welder , ( i.e. miller 212 / lincoln 216 ) , By the Specs , it has as good or better duty cycle than those welders , ( Plus the 200S does Arc/Stick as well ) .
Size wise , it is bigger than my lincoln SP135 , more similar to a newer miller 140 . I would not classify the 200S as " Portable " , Weight wise , No Problem , I just think it would be rather a " Arm " load to carry around to much .

Package Very Well , so that even if the box takes a sharp blow , I doubt the machine gets touched as it sits away from the top , sides and bottom . Includes a 2# roll of wire and also a hose for gas hook-up .

Did not have any gas as my brother has my cylinder , so I change over the polarity of the gun to " negative " , ( Very easy to do , 2 knobs inside above wire feed , 1 black and 1 red , No Brainer ) .

Attached gun , locked in place with included wing stud , and attached small plug for mig gun operation , ( can't remember what the called it ) .
Attached Ground clamp plug into Positive ( + ) hole , since mig gun was changed to Negative ( - ) , As with no gas , figured I would run some flux core and give it a try .

Only had time for a few beads on some 1/2" scrap I had , Spent maybe 5 minute's playing as We have our Grandson this weekend , So He comes before toys .:thumbsup:

Pictures

101_0048.JPG
Front panel

101_0049.JPG
Short bead on right was first , then moved left with each bead , was welding away from me , " Push "???
101_0050.JPG
Bead on left was first of these 2 , had both wire speed and voltage turned up to were voltage is in picture above . Small weld on right was with wire speed set were it is now ??
101_0052.JPG

This 2 beads were last , I Think . 1 on right first , then 1 on left , with controls set were they are at in picture above .

I Think only 1 weld was made from side to side , most were push away from me due to time and not being able to set - up accordingly . Basically , Just plug it in and shot few beads , Which By the Way ,

The 3 Prong 50 Amp welding electrical plug was already Installed , So another Thank You to Simon and Longevity . Matches my 220/240 cord for my plasma cutter .

Wave Form , Never Touched . Will have to check out the cd/dvd that was included and the video's on it . Tried before going and playing , But Grandson had other Ideas so only was able to read a little .

Will Add more as I have time and " HopeFully " as some of you more Skilled , ( All of You !!!! ) , Give me advise , ( Please :D )

Fred H.

Wire was E71 flux core

/ My Longevity Mig200S #2  
Cool quick post FredH. Glad you were able to capitalize on the Longevity/TBN discount deal that I was unable to use.

As you gain more practice. I would be interested in how your new unit in wire feeder mode compares to your older Lincoln SP-135 limited to within the capabilities of smaller Lincoln of course so you are comparing apples to apples. (FWIW I also have a Lincoln SP-135P mig).

Lastly, I always pull a flux core puddle to better control slag. I always thought pushing a puddle is usually limited to mig mode (aka with shield gas), but maybe I misunderstood your post and I am far from an expert so....

/ My Longevity Mig200S
That's why I mentioned the " Push " I was using . Thought I was doing it Backwards , but was , as I mentioned , limited on time . My 18 month old Grandson is my Priority as far as time goes .
I'm pretty sure your right on that . Another issue I had was my helmet . Although it would Auto Darken , Seems like I kept " Losing " sight of the puddle . :(

Well , Most of You will get a Laugh out of this . Just went out with better half to show her the Welder . So I looked at the Helmet . Have not used it for awhile , since " Before " I ran a bunch of wood through the table saw . Well , To say the least , The Build up of fine saw dust / dust on the outside of the helmet glass was almost worthy of using a ice scrapper !:ashamed: That " Duh !! " Moment !!

Very Impressed with the welder just in the little time I used it . Going to hopefully run over to my Bro's house next weekend and will switch it back to solid wire and hook to a tank and see what he thinks . He is a lot better welder than I am , think he also has some stick rods around , so we will try to try that out also .

Fred H.

/ My Longevity Mig200S #4  
I wonder if the wave form is like an inductance control? If so, when welding flat I'd turn it down. This will give you a flowing / wetter puddle. For vertical up welding I'd turn it up, this will give you a dryer / stiffer puddle. Now I'm only guessing on what it is.

Looks like most of your welds you're running a little slow, or you could turn your voltage up some.
What brand of flux core are you running?
I like Lincoln's NR-212, and Hobart's Fabshield 21-B.

Attachments

• NR212A.JPG
    NR212A.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 202
  • 21B.JPG
    21B.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 212
   / My Longevity Mig200S #5  
I was going to ask the same thing. Wave Form on DC?? Must be inductance. They should change that so they have common verbiage.

/ My Longevity Mig200S
Think I was running slow 'cuz I could'nt see . :ashamed: I was amazed at how much garbage was built up . My wife was laughing at me , when I took a finger and swiped at the front and it left a clean streak down through it . Never even crossed my mind as I could see before striking a arc , ( Least I thought I could ?? ) .
Wire is some of a 8" roll I had of Harbor Freight E71T-GS that I had taken off my little Lincoln for some reason quite awhile back , Think it was because I did not like the way it ran on it .:confused3: In Looking at the way it ran here , Thinking it won't be ran on this welder either .:thumbdown:

Normally do run Lincoln wire , should of took the roll out of my lincoln and tried it instead . Have a new roll of lincoln .030 solid that I will load up then try with gas next weekend . See if I can do any better .

All in all though , the welder , ( THE MACHINE , not ME ) , is pretty impressive .

Fred H.

P.S. Am going to ask over on the longevity forum about the " Wave Form " , Going to also give your suggestion's a try Shield Arc . Thinking to Try same type welds , with it turned off then turned up ???

/ My Longevity Mig200S #7  
Just a suggestion for practicing your welding, it is hard for anybody to make welds look good on a flat plate. Maybe think about picking up some 1" x 1/4" flatbar cut it into 6" long pieces. Practice fillets, and lap joints. If you think about it, when building things how many times do you actually weld on a flat plate? Just butting two pieces of plate together is better practice than running beads on a flat plate.

/ My Longevity Mig200S
Was Reading on the Everlast site in one of their manuals and You are spot on in your description of the Wave Form . Have a Bunch of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" up to 1/4" angle in a pile out back , so Your Suggestion will be Used . In re-looking at those welds , I also know why I dumped that H.F. wire out of my lincoln some time back ! Although I use Flux core in my lincoln , I normally use lincoln wire and that H.F. spool seem to have at least twice the splatter beads every were .

Fred H

/ My Longevity Mig200S #9  
If you didn't wire brush those welds off, that is a bad sign having the slag hit and miss like that. I've run 5/64-inch NR-211 at well over 400-amps, and that will happen! You want complete slag coverage over the weld like this.

Attachments

• NR212 slag RF.JPG
    NR212 slag RF.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 250
   / My Longevity Mig200S #10  
Hi Guys,

Here are a few videos done by Scott on the MIGWELD 200S - he is just starting to do these for us, so we are doing our best in editing and learning editing. Let me know if you would like to see anything particular as we are going to do more of these videos. Also, please do not foget to subscribe to our youtube channel!