MIG welder advice

/ MIG welder advice #1  

rwork

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100 LS R3039H
I'm thinking of buying myself a mig welder. I've got an old Lincoln AC225 that belonged to my father. Let me start by saying, "I can't weld". I've welded a few things, but it wasn't pretty. I was looking at either a Lincoln or Hobart 140 mig unit. I'm wondering if I should go with a larger machine (230), or a dual voltage, or stick with the smaller 140 (less expensive, of course). Any suggestions?
I also thought about giving the local community college a call, and see if they have any extended education welding classes.

/ MIG welder advice #2  
Well, try a class like you mention. If you decide it's cool (it is!) and would like to get into some fabricating, I'd recomend a 220volt model. The little 110v units just do not cut it on anything over 1/8" metal. You could even start with an old "buzz box" (AC stick welder) for a whole lot less $$ but not as easy to learn on.

/ MIG welder advice #3  
I was in your shoes a couple years ago, and picked up a Hobart 140 and couldn't be more pleased with it. A neighbor of mine who owns an auto body shop gave me a couple lessons on it, and even he was surprised how capable it was. So far it's been able to do anything I've asked of it. All in all, a good unit to learn on that you won't outgrow right away.

/ MIG welder advice
I was in your shoes a couple years ago, and picked up a Hobart 140 and couldn't be more pleased with it. A neighbor of mine who owns an auto body shop gave me a couple lessons on it, and even he was surprised how capable it was. So far it's been able to do anything I've asked of it. All in all, a good unit to learn on that you won't outgrow right away.

Yea, i guess I'd better slow down a bit, and really think about what to get. I have 230V in my shop now (Linc AC225), so I wasn't sure if I should get a 115V unit or spend a few hundred more and go with 230V.

/ MIG welder advice #5  
If you can possible swing it, go with a 230-volt machine, with the most amps! Reason being, the biggest mistake rookies make with Mig welding is running too cold. Really easy to do if the amps aren't there. One thing about welding machines, you can always turn them down, but you can't use amps you didn't pay for. ;)

/ MIG welder advice
If you can possible swing it, go with a 230-volt machine, with the most amps! Reason being, the biggest mistake rookies make with Mig welding is running too cold. Really easy to do if the amps aren't there. One thing about welding machines, you can always turn them down, but you can't use amps you didn't pay for. ;)

That does make sense. I have the 230 in the shop, and I can't think of doing much welding that I can't bring to the shop.
Most of my woodworking eqipment is 220.

/ MIG welder advice #7  
I've been very happy with this setup.

Attachments

• New.JPG
    New.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 268
  • LF72 A.JPG
    LF72 A.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 204
  • My LN 25 C.jpg
    My LN 25 C.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 239
   / MIG welder advice
Sheildarc, that looks like some serious gear you have there!

/ MIG welder advice
Shield Arc, that looks like some serious gear you have there!

/ MIG welder advice #10  
If you simply want to improve welding on your current Lincoln AC-225 buzzbox; then definitely try some 7014 rods. About as easy a rod as there is to use - Idiot rod almost welds itself. A real treat to use on an AC only machine.

Then if you weld a lot or if you need to routinely weld metals thinner than say 1/16" thick ( = 16 gauge) then think about getting that mig. The affordable priced migs are really only good on thinner metals (115 volt mig machines 1/8" thick metal and under) and (230 volt migs 1/4" thick metal and under). Of course there are expensive alternatives that can do more but not usually practical for average hobbyist/homeowner due to high cost.

Do Not take me wrong, Mig has advantages, but those advantages can be expensive for the very infrequent occasional user. A decent mig machine is not cheap. lease a bottle, buy gas, etc. All Worth it of course if needed and used frequently - not so much for an occasional hobbyist. Stick is about as cheap as it get for occasional user but admittingly does not excel on thin metals less than 1/16" thick.