Gas welding aluminum

/ Gas welding aluminum #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
Well hopefully in the next week or so after a trip to air liquids I am wanting to try my hand at gas welding aluminum. I don't really do any work with aluminum, mainly because I have no real good way of attaching it. I have been reading a bit about gas welding it with a normal o /a torch, aluminum rod, and flux, and decided I might as well try it. The issue is I know less then nothing about welding aluminum, and I need some help. So, first I have no idea what kind of aluminum plate I have, but it has the plastic cover on it, I am assuming for protection before anodizing. With that said, what sort of filler rod should I get? Is there a kind of universal rod for most work, or does it have to match the alloy? Second, any recommendations for a flux? Finally anyone have any tips for me? Just to clarify I am not interested in aluminum soldering, even though it works and I hear is easy. I am ideally wanting to be able to get the nice fish scale beads, like a nice tig weld.

/ Gas welding aluminum #2  
check out tinmantech.com or this youtube videos

/ Gas welding aluminum #3  
I've been working in welding shops for over 40 years. I gas welded aluminum once. It worked. Once. Don't plan on staking dimes with gas, at least not without a lot of practise, your going to find this a lot different than gas welding steel. In order of easiest processes to obtain a good weld with aluminum, GMAW, GTAW, PAW-VP, SMAW. To weld it with Oxy-Acetylene should be a hobby/fun type of thing. For one thing aluminum melts at a lower temperature than aluminum-oxide. The surface is oxidized and when gas welding you should remove this mechanically from the weld area. The flux will help to keep it free from oxidizing. Heat dissipates fast through aluminum and oxy-fuel welding is very low heat compared to an arc. That means that by the time you get the joint up to melting temperature you have a large heat affected zone that is close to falling apart. This zone may even be only held together by the aluminum-oxide, so your plates may need to be supported. Arc welding does not present this problem as the weld area is instantly brought to temperature. Use flux on the joint and the rod. Sometimes it helps to actually stick the rod into the puddle and push and stir. Although it is best to match the filler to the base you will find that most welding on plate is done with ether 5356 or 4043. To AWS code there are no prequalified aluminum welds, so you will need to write a welding procedure and have it tested unless you prefer to go by The Farm Code.

Please please post some pictures. You are going to have fun, LOL.

/ Gas welding aluminum
I'm not too worried about welding code, don't plan on ever welding professionally. I am just thinking for home projects, stuff for the shop, ect. I have never done a project where I have to weld aluminum, this is more just for fun, and to clear my head after a day of classes. I guess I will pick up some 4043 tig rod, and see what sort of flux they have. I don't have a mig or a tig, so I think this would be my best bet for welding aluminum. (after seeing far better welders then myself struggle with smaw aluminum)

/ Gas welding aluminum #5  
if you go to the Lincoln welding web site You can download several guideline for all types of welding

/ Gas welding aluminum #6  
you are going to have a hard time seeing the puddle due to the flair of the flux. See if you can get some blue lenses for your goggles. The blue color cuts out the yellow light from the flux.

/ Gas welding aluminum
Good to know I will try and find some cobalt lenses.

/ Gas welding aluminum #8  
After a little practice you can put down a fair bead with oxy/acet using an aluminum stick welding rod. Stailess bruch the area 1st. Keep heat even between the rod and the work. Actually works better than it's intended use. Brazing optiuons I have used are Coral, Welco 52, AlCor. All Harris products. Good Luck,.

/ Gas welding aluminum
Well I will see if air liquide has aluminum stick rods. On that note, my dad was telling me that when he was a kid, his dad brought back some leftover aluminum stick rods from the steel mill his company was rebuilding. They said these ones had to be kept in the fridge until use. He recalls them being bright blue. Have you ever heard of that?

/ Gas welding aluminum #10  
All I have seen are White. Any humidity at all and the flux will fall off. If you were in the states, I would send you a few to mess with.