??? Mig Amps and Wire speed

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Just a Curiosity Question Regarding Mig welders . Why do most , if not all , Mig Welders have heat settings , ( be it volt or amps ) , then the wire speed is the other setting , ( Say heat settings are the volts and then wire speed is the amps ) ?????

Just wondering Why you could not have Amps , Volts AND another knob for wire speed . Thus Simple Brained people like me could still weld Slow by having wire speed down but still have power up for thicker stock .

Maybe there are welders that way , but most I have seen up to the likes of a Miller 212 or Lincoln 216 are the same as the smaller 110/120 welders .

Again just Thinking out loud , Which for me , Thinking can be ????? :)

Fred H

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #2  
FredH;3166047Just wondering Why you could not have Amps said:
Actually that is exactly how you would do it with this set up.

Attachments

• LN-25.JPG
    LN-25.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 718
   / ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #3  
Fred,
Without getting over technical,(because I am not the technical guy) wire speed is your amps. The constant voltage process uses the wire speed to regulate the amps. The stickout of the wire self-regulates the amperage as the wire burns off at a fixed speed determined by the voltage.

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed
S.A. : Real Funny , Sure that would fit in my shop , BUT then there would be no room for Me !!:D

Mark : Not Technical ?? Remember , I am a Truck Driver , That went over my head .;) I Guess I get it , Was Just always curious Why most machines are that way .

Thanks , Fred H.

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #5  

Attachments

• MIG Chart.jpg
    MIG Chart.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 16,422
  • pushorpull.jpg
    pushorpull.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,758
   / ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #6  
Wire speed and amps vary depending upon the wire size and type you are using. It's not one size fits all.

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #7  
You just need practice. There's no 1 knob here other knob here all the time it depends on position and the other things mentioned by the poster above.

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed
This was just a curiosity question and not part of my learning curve with new welder . The more I thought about it this week , I guess I was comparing it to arc / stick welding were you have 2 controls and you are the third knob as far as feeding the electrode , but even then , you have to maintain a decent speed , not slow but not fast .
I guess it also would not be practical from a efficiency viewpoint either in welder power factor or utilizing incoming power . High Amp Setting , High Volt Setting , then have Wire feed turned down to low , would be wasting electricity and would not be very efficient for the use of the welder , or feed to high and you would be shoving wire every were .
Skilled people like S.A. , Can dial in any welder likely Blindfolded , But some of Us need makers of welder's to make their products some what idiot proof , ( At least in my case ) . :)

Fred H.

P.S. Shield Arc , Don't know if any are for sell , but I Know of 6 of those Grey SA200's ( ????? Look like pictures you have posted but not sure about actual name for them ) sitting around here locally . 5 are just a few doors down from were I park my trailer on weekends and the 6th is next door to my Dad's , just sitting next to a old shop building . Should I try to make a offer ? No idea if any run , but ???

/ ??? Mig Amps and Wire speed #9  
Well thank you Fred for thinking of me!:thumbsup: I have 5 of them now, and I'm trying very hard to curve my addiction.:eek: If I get anymore I'd have to build a bigger shed to store them in.:laughing: