weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed #91  
Well, if you can assume the guy you are buying it from knows how to use it, you can have him demonstrate it (or bring your own expert along). The simple transformer welders ARE pretty bullet proof. I guess I have had such good luck buying used equipment over the years, I don't worry about it too much. The vast majority of sellers are honest. If something doesn't smell right, walk. Other than that you should be good to go. And these things are easy to resell if you need or want to. I bought and sold a DC Lincoln tombstone in the space of a year as I wanted a better unit. I even made money on that welder as I got it quite cheap. I didn't try it out either, just took his word for it. When I listed it on CL, I think it took 2 days to sell, at most.

/ weld grinding tips needed #92  
that's really good advice. But how do I know if it works if I'm, well, shall we say, rather virginal here... Yeah I can turn it on, see if the light comes on...
I'm sure those old tombstones are very reliable and I'm worrying about nothing, but sometimes people sell things because they don't work as well as they did before....:confused:
I guess the obvious answer is to take an experienced person with me to check it out. I'm smart enough to smelled burnt wiring, and I understand these welders aren't overly complicated inside.

My guess is the older machines are built like older tractors, for forever.

These used machines aren't that expensive, I guess I can't go too wrong. Wonder how the old tombstone compares to a new high tech Chinese welder on the same rods/application...

And a lot of those people are selling them because of a disappointing experience or they aren't satisfied with their performance in some way either through rapid growth into a business or needing higher duty cycles for the job at hand. Not all are dissatisfied for sure, but you'll definitely find a significant number are (just ask them what they are replacing the welder with). There is usually a reason so many are for sale as many people are trading up. Inverters, chinese or not, offer more stable welding arc, less power consumption, and a whole lot less hernias when moving them around...not to say that some high end or really old transformers don't offer a stable arc, because they do. But the size and weight alone can be an issue for some...and those won't typically be for sale as often as the dime a dozen crackerbox transformer welders. These are fine for some people, but less and less are being sold as inverters are coming down in price. You also should consider that one repair on an old transformer can easily exceed the purchase price, and though people say they are bullet proof, they are not. Switches, fans, and diodes are common issues with transformers. Though relatively easy to repair, they aren't cheap, and if you have to pay someone a hundred dollar bill to fix it, then the cost benefit is lost.

/ weld grinding tips needed
Oh, I forgot the most important thing, you MUST get an autodarkening helmet. That one thing will do more for improving your welding, than any other thing. Standard welding helmets are for Old professionals., You are not one of them and neither am I. Stop scratching around in the dark, get the auto-darkening helmet to start with and enjoy life.

do I need to spend more than this? Is a hundred dollar helmet significantly better than this?
thanks

Wel-Bilt Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet | Welding Helmets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes, the Wel-Bilt Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet does meet ANSI Z87.1-2003 standards.

We do not have a "cheater lens available for the Wel-Bilt Welding Helmet. ???????

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200416894_200416894
something tells me wide screen is better...do most welders get a large screen helmet sooner or later?
thanks

Last edited:
   / weld grinding tips needed
And a lot of those people are selling them because of a disappointing experience or they aren't satisfied with their performance in some way either through rapid growth into a business or needing higher duty cycles for the job at hand. Not all are dissatisfied for sure, but you'll definitely find a significant number are (just ask them what they are replacing the welder with). There is usually a reason so many are for sale as many people are trading up. Inverters, chinese or not, offer more stable welding arc, less power consumption, and a whole lot less hernias when moving them around...not to say that some high end or really old transformers don't offer a stable arc, because they do. But the size and weight alone can be an issue for some...and those won't typically be for sale as often as the dime a dozen crackerbox transformer welders. These are fine for some people, but less and less are being sold as inverters are coming down in price. You also should consider that one repair on an old transformer can easily exceed the purchase price, and though people say they are bullet proof, they are not. Switches, fans, and diodes are common issues with transformers. Though relatively easy to repair, they aren't cheap, and if you have to pay someone a hundred dollar bill to fix it, then the cost benefit is lost.

Mark, thank you.
I went back to CraigsList and poked around. Lots of older industrial welders, tombstones, and every other variety being hawked.
For 2-300 used, I agree completely that a hundred dollar repair seems excessive. But if with that repair, the tool works "competitively" with more modern designs,
I have no problem spending money "restoring" an older machine. I simply lack the knowledge to do it. For my first welder, I think new and with a warranty makes sense.
I also think newer designs may be more efficient and will convert to DC using less electricity and cost to do so. Here's hoping; probably utterly insignificant...

I'm still waiting on the used welding textbook I ordered from Amazon and then a third party seller, who likely was quite happy to send the package by book rate which means it's gathering dust somewhere.
In that book I'm hoping there is a list of minimum "must haves". Remembering that I'm not going to start off welding the Alaskan pipeline, but little mower decks, is there a reasonable consensus on what
I have to get before I start? What am I forgetting: helmet, blankets, fire extinguisher, gloves, apron?, metal welding table, clamps and big vice, magnets?, wire brushes/files, rods, phew.

/ weld grinding tips needed #95  
do I need to spend more than this? Is a hundred dollar helmet significantly better than this?
thanks

Wel-Bilt Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet | Welding Helmets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Yes, the Wel-Bilt Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet does meet ANSI Z87.1-2003 standards.

We do not have a "cheater lens available for the Wel-Bilt Welding Helmet. ???????

Northern Industrial Welders Large View Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet | Welding Helmets| Northern Tool + Equipment
something tells me wide screen is better...do most welders get a large screen helmet sooner or later?
thanks

I have that exact helmet and I like it fine. It is just a 2 sensor helmet not a 4.. What that means is if you are sticking your head around a project and some of the metal blocks the sensors view of the arc it wont shift into dark mode. But that is no big deal. The light mode is dark enough to protect your eyes. and to make the helmet work properly, just move your head a little to get it out of the shadow of the project. This rarely happens , but it did happen to me once while building a machine stand with upright vertical pieces. Is this $44 helmet the quality of a $300 helmet.. no.. but it works well , and fits well. So yeah, get one. The screen seemed big enough to me.

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #96  
daugen;3170163I could make it all look perfect with Bondo or even plastic spackling said:
I got rooked on a used mower that the guy supposedly rebuilt. The mower deck looked like new but over the course of use, one of the deck hangers bent and then one of the spindles bent. When I took it off the try straightening and welding it, that's when I found about a gallon of bondo filling in all the rusted out holes /pitting and everything else. It looks smooth and solid with nice new paint and not one crack in the bondo. A wire wheel and a lot of torch heating to loosen it all up and I finally got it all out so I could properly repair the deck with some new plate. I immediately decided it was worth putting some work into it when the JD parts dealer said a new deck was $1200 without spindles or pulleys, just the metal deck. I have to give the guy credit, he did an nice job with the bondo making it look smooth and like new however bondo doesn't hold nearly as well as metal. I don't think you would have any issue with using it to spackle any worm holes in that welding just for cosmetic sake, but if you ever plan to weld over it, stay away from the Bondo. IT is a real PIA to remove.

/ weld grinding tips needed #97  
I got rooked on a used mower that the guy supposedly rebuilt. The mower deck looked like new but over the course of use, one of the deck hangers bent and then one of the spindles bent. When I took it off the try straightening and welding it, that's when I found about a gallon of bondo filling in all the rusted out holes /pitting and everything else. It looks smooth and solid with nice new paint and not one crack in the bondo. A wire wheel and a lot of torch heating to loosen it all up and I finally got it all out so I could properly repair the deck with some new plate. I immediately decided it was worth putting some work into it when the JD parts dealer said a new deck was $1200 without spindles or pulleys, just the metal deck. I have to give the guy credit, he did an nice job with the bondo making it look smooth and like new however bondo doesn't hold nearly as well as metal. I don't think you would have any issue with using it to spackle any worm holes in that welding just for cosmetic sake, but if you ever plan to weld over it, stay away from the Bondo. IT is a real PIA to remove.

OMG. someone actually put bondo on a deck:shocked: THAT is an evil person!:( Sounds like the kind of guy that would sell you a used car with a transmission full of sawdust..

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #98  
That is a lot of what you get with old "rebuilt" stuff. A magnet would be handy to find this stuff, however everything else worked well with it so I wasn't too disappointed and I was able to salvage the deck with some 1/8" flat bar and lots of welding and heating and beating. It isn't as pretty but is functional. All the spindles are heavy cast iron with replaceable sealed bearings that are about $10 each rather than the new mower stuff that cost $100 for a replacement spindle.
NOW for the welding machine. The only bad thing about the old Lincoln tombstone welders was the amperage selection of 15 or so jump from each setting. Many times one setting is too cold but the next one is too hot so no fine current adjustment like on some other model. I wouldn't buy an AC machine unless it also had DC. My old school Miller transformer type machine has AC but I have never used it for AC and use DC exclusively. A foot control would be nice for TIG or stick but I wouldn't pay $200 for it unless I planned to do a lot of aluminum welding. The foot control is nice for that where you can crank it up to get your preheat done the lower the amps to weld as the piece gets hot.
Only buy a machine with infinite setting capability and I would have to have DC also.

/ weld grinding tips needed #100  
In my experience, most people are selling the old transformer welders, not because they hate them, because they simply do not use them or it was Dad's old welder and the kid has no interest/need after Dad passed away. Some people are upgrading, for sure. I did, but it got me started OK. I'm sure it is possible to find a broken transformer welder, but a simple test run should find that out, if you are concerned. While it is always possible to get hosed, reasonable care should prevent that and worrying about that type of repair bill is rare enough to sound more like extreme over-caution. And I agree that the Miller Thunderbolt is probably a better AC/DC choice as it was infinitely adjustable vs the stepped Lincolns. I had the Lincoln and that annoyed me, but it still worked reasonably, especially just as a first machine to get started.

Buying used is a great way to start out. You will find out if you like it and help figure out what direction you want to go from there at minimal initial cost. A lot of times you get extras with a used welder too, like a helmet or extra rods. I got a milk crate full of rods (most in decent shape), several gloves, and a HF welding helmet with mine (guy was retiring/downsizing) all for $150.