weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed #122  
Got it done...ordered the Everlast 160sth with foot pedal from Mark, and he was very helpful.
Now let's see, when I get it, I plug it in, turn it all the way up, then connect the two leads right? :cool:

I'm so jealous! If I was to buy new today, I think that'd be the machine I'd get. For the time being, I continue to muddle along with my transformer-based brute.

/ weld grinding tips needed
thanks Josh. When it comes in I'll take pics. Need to remember what it looks like before I connect the two leads...:dance1:

I think I'll be making some ugly welds for sure to begin with, but as long as they are structurally sound, I'm pretty good with a grinder.
My BIL is saving up all his extra steel scraps for me.

And I'm not sure I'm going to tell my wife that the generator I planned on running this off has only a 30amp 240V outlet, no where near enough for the 37 amp
draw on full load. So....looks like I'm quietly going to be buying a larger gen, no power at my barn sheds, yet.
Here I was worried about a 500 dollar welder and a 50 amp gen will cost four times that much. Not my best bit of planning for sure.
It will be at least a year before power is brought to this barn, it's pretty remote, but it will come. Meanwhile I guess I'll have a nice portable gen, though I sure would have liked to
spend that money on something else.

Do you know if that machine comes with any tungsten? I've got to the point now I use 2 % Ceriated, (orange) for everything.
WeldCraft WC332X7 Tungsten, 2% Ceriated, 3/32" x 7"

Shield Arc, I just don't know, maybe one "trial" piece. I'll take a pic of what it arrives with. And then I'm going to ask for help with my accessory shopping list. Drew
btw, the foot pedal was only fifty bucks more with the purchase, apparently it wasn't bundled like the original AMazon ad, so I said yes, send it. Interesting that the original Amazon ad showing this model discounted
has totally disappeared....all list price now. Hmmmm. I paid about list price it seems, with what amounts to free shipping, which for a heavy object, is something.

/ weld grinding tips needed #125  
Hi Drew, I have been using the 2% Lanthanated tungsten's with good results. But whether you want to try the Ceriated or the Lanthanated, here is one place to get them. If I were you I would start with a pack of 1/16 size. As for stick electrodes you could start with some 7014 and 7018. 7014 is very easy to run, sometimes called drag rod, as you can just drag it along. Also called "idiot rod" and "bambi rod" 7018 requires just a little more thought, but not much. and gives really good results, and good strong welds. Just remember to flick or file off the "corn" that forms on the end of the rod before you attempt a restrike. I just use my thumb to break it off. Wait until it is cooled down a bit.:)

Tungsten Electrode Welding, Tungsten Weld Material | USAWeld.com

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #126  
And I'm not sure I'm going to tell my wife that the generator I planned on running this off has only a 30amp 240V outlet, no where near enough for the 37 amp
draw on full load. So....looks like I'm quietly going to be buying a larger gen, no power at my barn sheds, yet.

Have you talked to Everlast about recommended generator specs to run the welder? A lot of times, there is more to the equation than raw amperage. And I'm not sure whether that is more or less true with an inverter welder. Hate to see you spend a lot of money and not get what you need.

Example: Lincoln recommends a 15,000 watt genny minimum to run their 50 amp transformer welder. That's an extra 12.5 amps. Also, the welder may be sensitive to the cleanness of the power.

thanks Josh. I dodged a major bullet today. The owner of the farm I take care of told me this morning that PECO was coming in within a month, running a 200 amp service to the
barn; actually they are running higher voltage up the hill, and into a transformer near the barn which steps down the juice. I don't think I'll run out of AC now...
What marvelous timing! Now I can afford the rods...

/ weld grinding tips needed #128  
SA - "Do you know if that machine comes with any tungsten?" That model doesn't say, but ALL their other tig models I've been looking at do NOT come with tungstens. I'm considering their 200DX, trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and get the cooler and WP20 torch at the same time, or try the air cooled WP26 first. It's only money...

Daugen, you've probably already figured this out, but just in case - hopefully you're not planning on tig welding any aluminum? That's a DC only tig you're getting.

Good news on the power thing - if it was YOUR idea, I bet they'd want $3-4K from you.

All Everlast's machines spec "clean" power genny's or "the warranty may be void" - any of the mfg's I've checked out have similar lingo... Steve

Oh, forgot to mention this - so far, ALL Everlast's tigs I've checked out come with flow meter calibrated in LITERS PER MINUTE - so if your LWS says set it at 20, IGNORE them.

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/FM_handbook/577fm10_3.htm

(hopefully one LESS question you'll have about why your welds don't look right :=)

Bukit, no aluminum, we're good. thanks Drew

/ weld grinding tips needed #130  
Hmmmm. I paid about list price it seems, with what amounts to free shipping, which for a heavy object, is something.

You may be surprised (but not disappointed). I own the PA140, and it's not much bigger than a lunch box.:) but I want to emphasize I'm very happy with its performance.