weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed #11  
hit it with a lil angle grinder to expose any holes that need to be filled. refill then.. then grind mor ewith a angle grinder.. then hit the flap wheel.. depending on how much you want to weld and grind and work it.. you can make it anwhere from ugly but strong to perfect...

/ weld grinding tips needed #13  
I have neither, I didn't do the welding, the shop did. So I need to buy a first welder, something basic to make repairs like this. And now I know the rods to use, thanks.
So what you see is what I got, and now I have to finish it. When I saw that big opening on the one side, I knew I had more welding to do. My first welding actually.
So I'm a pure newbie here, but I understand good penetration. :)

I guess I misunderstood, I thought YOU did the welding. You mean that someone else did that welding? Oh.. dear..
I would suggest you get one of the Everlast or Longevity DC stick inverter welders or try to find one of the older transformer based Miller or Lincoln or Hobart Ac/DC welders and with some practice and the proper rod, YOU can do a heck of a lot better than the "welding professional" that did that. I have a PA160 Everlast that I paid $269 for about 3 years ago, and it has served me well for repairs and fabrication. I even TIG with it after I added a scratch start TIG torch with valve, and a regulator on the argon bottle. Daugen you should get yourself a welder, learn how to weld, and never go back to where ever you got that done at...good luck.

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #14  
You mean a welding shop did that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::thumbdown:

OMG. that is what I said.. I can't believe that a welding shop "Pro" would let something like that out the door. Holy Cow. I was going easy on the wormholes and bird turds, because I though this was HIS first welding project...Man oh man..

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed
in fairness to the shop, they had a budget and more of an ugly but strong spec to work with, thanks Soundguy.
They were supposed to fix the front part primarily, but knowing I don't own a welder, getting it back this way
seemed kind of strange to me. It's a long time Gravely dealer and one I like, so I cut them some slack, they do other
nice things for me. And maybe what they have just done is get me off my proverbial behind and get my
first welder. I think an AC/DC stick setup would be just fine. I have a birthday coming up, hmmmm.

So....be critical on the front welds, not the sides and rear. Course this is a strange mower and it's kinda hard to tell which end is which.

hit it with a lil angle grinder to expose any holes that need to be filled. refill then..

I was going to do that, give it a rough grind to see if anything flakes off, falls out, whatever, then
when you say "refill" you mean reweld, correct?
I could make it all look perfect with Bondo or even plastic spackling, if it were a show queen, but I want to
use the mower, if only a little.

There's a field on the farm near the lawn area that is a perfect soccer field size area,
level, and sometimes that gets mowed more like a lawn so grandkids can kick balls there. And not get too many
ticks on themselves.

When I'm done with it, it will look like new. Surface prep is so important, particularly with metal.
But once I've ground it down a final time, if there are little dimples or cosmetic imperfections, tough. It's a mower.
I'd rather spend more time on the thorough cleaning, priming, and top coats. And using lots of blue tape to keep the end
result nice.

To make my double trailing rig, I need to rework this latest mower's hitch so that it pulls from a different spot.
Likely have some welding to do there too. I'm in no rush.

/ weld grinding tips needed #17  
Daugen, bondo would fill imperfections in a hurry, but since it is a mower, wouldn't the vibration and impact crack the bondo and have it falling out pretty quick?

Daugen, bondo would fill imperfections in a hurry, but since it is a mower, wouldn't the vibration and impact crack the bondo and have it falling out pretty quick?

Jim, sorry, of course, I was just making a point of how to do it "the wrong way", luckily, I'm dumb, but not THAT dumb...:thumbsup:
putting any kind of filler in something that vibrates is only asking for trouble. I only mentioned that because I don't (yet) know how to weld.

why do you think you need AC?

I thought the tombstone stick welders came AC and DC was an option, albeit expensive but offering performance benefits (less splatter) in some applications.
Clearly I know only theory and I'll defer to anyone else with knowledge.