weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed
inexpensive:
Northern Industrial ST80i Inverter-Based Stick Welder with TIG Option — 115 Volt, 20 - 90 Amp | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment
moderate:
FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Stickmate 205AC 230V Arc Welder/Stick Welder — 205 Amp Output, Model# 500502 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment
tried and true:
Lincoln Electric AC/DC 225/125 230V Stick Welder — 225 Amp AC, 125 Amp DC Output, Model# K1297 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment
more expensive and powerful:
FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Stickmate Stickmate LX 300 AC/200 DC 230V Arc Welder/Stick Welder — 205 Amp Output, Model# 500560 | Arc Welders| Northern Tool + Equipment

I'm just using Northern Tools for examples here, as each welder increases in price and power.
What do I need to weld mower decks like this,perhaps with a little in reserve? I'm confused over how
many amps I need. In fact I don't have the foggiest idea how many amps I need.
Light hobby use, but want something better than Harbor Freight.

/ weld grinding tips needed #22  
I have an AC Only tombstone Lincoln, and the DC only Inverter Everlast. I haven't bothered with the Lincoln since I got the DC machine. More noise, more spatter, and a more limited rod selection is what the AC machine offers.. Oh Ok, it will well at higher currents than my little PA160 but I have never had any need to go over 140 amps. The AC machine would run a Carbon Arc Torch for heating, I don't have one, but I have considered it, Then I have read about guys that have built them, complain about all the light and noise, and the possibility of some nasty particles and gasses... Including maybe even Buckminster fullerenes being emitted by the recombination of carbon atoms into more complex forms... So I have never built one. I guess the main reason I have kept the old AC machine is because no-one wants to buy it.

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #23  
In my opinion, and take it for what it's worth because I'm only a hobbyist! The only reason anyone would buy an AC only machine is because they're cheaper, or they are combating arc blow. OK, how many home owners fight arc blow? How many home owners even know what arc blow is?
For the life of me I can't see where the average home owner needs a machine that will go over 150-amps. 1/8-inch 7018 is about as big a rod as the average guy will run, 150-amps is plenty for that rod.
Personally I would not have a 120-volt only machine!
If I were you, I'd PM Mark and see what kind of deal he can make you on a PowerArc 200;)

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerARC-200---391-pd.html

/ weld grinding tips needed
In my opinion, and take it for what it's worth because I'm only a hobbyist! The only reason anyone would buy an AC only machine is because they're cheaper, or they are combating arc blow. OK, how many home owners fight arc blow? How many home owners even know what arc blow is?
For the life of me I can't see where the average home owner needs a machine that will go over 150-amps. 1/8-inch 7018 is about as big a rod as the average guy will run, 150-amps is plenty for that rod.
Personally I would not have a 120-volt only machine!
If I were you, I'd PM Mark and see what kind of deal he can make you on a PowerArc 160, or the PowerArc 200;)

PowerARC 200 - Welders For Sale, Plasma Cutters, Plasma Cutting Machines, Accessories, Welder Repair

Ok, I checked it out. And you think it's worth two hundred bucks more to get the 160 with TIG option vs. the 140 plain stick?
If I'm welding plate steel, what does TIG do for me?

thanks Drew

/ weld grinding tips needed #25  
Ok, I checked it out. And you think it's worth two hundred bucks more to get the 160 with TIG option vs. the 140 plain stick?
If I'm welding plate steel, what does TIG do for me?

thanks Drew

If you are welding plate steel, the TIG option doesn't do anything for you in this size machine. BUT if you want to weld sheet metal, then the TIG option with the HF start and the pedal control option can do a lot for you. Also if you want to weld copper or brass. It wont weld aluminum. I would love to have the PA160sth. with pedal. I have the PA160, but no pedal and no HF start. But an excellent stick machine. But anything below about 12 or 14 gauge steel, it is time to break out the TIG torch for it. But would I like to have HF start instead of scratch start? you bet, Would I love to have a pedal to taper off with? You bet..

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #26  
I'll have to go look and see what that Tip option is!:confused3:
Tig is really nice for thin material. Little steep on the learning curve though.
I know these pictures are blurry:eek:, I took them with an old camera that I eventually through against the wall, and had the wife pickup a better one.
These are some Tig welds I made with my PowerArc 200.

Attachments

• 6 0clock.jpg
    6 0clock.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 3 0clock.jpg
    3 0clock.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 9 0clock.jpg
    9 0clock.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Tig fillet.JPG
    Tig fillet.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 164
   / weld grinding tips needed #27  
Thanks James, saved me a trip to go read about the Tig option.:thumbsup:
Oh, if it comes with high frequency start, and a foot pedal, by all means it is worth the extra $200.00! Foot pedal alone is worth that. Scratch start Tig is a lot harder to learn, than learning Tig with a foot pedal.;)

/ weld grinding tips needed #29  
Shield Arc said:
I know these pictures are blurry:eek:, I took them with an old camera that I eventually through against the wall, and had the wife pickup a better one.
Felt good didn't it.

/ weld grinding tips needed #30  
hit it with a lil angle grinder to expose any holes that need to be filled. refill then..

I was going to do that, give it a rough grind to see if anything flakes off, falls out, whatever, then
when you say "refill" you mean reweld, correct?
I could make it all look perfect with Bondo or even plastic spackling, if it were a show queen, but I want to
use the mower, if only a little.

yes.. for sure weld. no bondo's .. etc. :)