weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed
My ongoing question to this discussion is am I ever going to weld very light gauge steel, "sheet metal", or aluminum. Unlikely.
But I say that now. I'm guessing that when I get a machine, I'll find more uses for it.
Frankly I've been a little hesitant to get one because I didn't want to do crappy work on my own equipment; I really do know my own limitations,
and I like good work.

My 64th birthday is coming up in March so I'm going to go back to studying machines, and yes, I'll check our "local" products.
Hopefully I'm not getting too old to learn...:)

One of the challenges in learning by observation here is that it's almost impossible to see what's going on when someone is welding. Too bright.
So it looks like one has to practice on little pieces and simply learn how feed rate, pressure, amps, whatever, affects the final job.
Kinda like turn it off and see what you've done. Before I do that on my mower deck, I need some confidence in my welding.

But first, and thank you Jim for the nudge, I have to get a welder and just do it.
Nice to have you guys here for a sanity check. Thanks again.

I watched the video, like many others, still hard to see. The bright white area is the "puddle" of molten metal, and going slightly side to side sets the weld width.

Ok, say I'm welding something half an inch thick. How far "down" should the weld go, about half way? What about the other side?
obviously newbie questions, thanks.

/ weld grinding tips needed #34  
I like the double V method, but sometimes you can't get to both sides, so you have to use the single V method. Degree of bevel is sometimes called out by the engineer, or you can go with combined 45-degree, or less. Root gap and root face, (land) in most cases is weldor's choice.

Here is a good chart on different types of joints.

Types of welding joints - Google Search

I like the double V method, but sometimes you can't get to both sides, so you have to use the single V method. Degree of bevel is sometimes called out by the engineer, or you can go with combined 45-degree, or less. Root gap and root face, (land) in most cases is weldor's choice.

Here is a good chart on different types of joints.

Types of welding joints - Google Search

huge chart and somewhat overwhelming, but looking for the basics, the root is the very bottom of the weld, bottom of puddle, right?
and now I understand "penetration".

Ok, hmmm, the old saying, "need to get to the root of this"....,
were they referring to a carrot or a weld?

Attachments

• penetration.jpg
    penetration.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 111
   / weld grinding tips needed #36  
daugen I know how frustrating this can be for someone so interested. Years ago I took some welding classes and did a lot of welding on the farm, when i would weld something and hit it a good blow with a hammer if it didn't break it was put to use. Then I got away from welding for about 30 years and had to start all over again. I bought a 110v mig machine and hoped for broken stuff to practice on. Got frustrated many times and wore out several 4 1/2" grinders, but I still kept trying! I had several lawn mower pans that I rebuilt ( welded cracks replaced wheels and repainted), learning something with each job. I had one that I got used and rebuilt several times and probably could have bought a new one for what I had invested in it. Even with all the practice sometimes I still use the grinder and then add more weld or fix up a spot that doesn't suit me. If I were you, I would get a Lincoln or similar 110v mig and of course a grinder and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Also remember before starting to weld CLEAN the metal good, after a while you will get good and even enjoy hiding behind that welding hood. Lots of luck

/ weld grinding tips needed #37  
Daugen, besides watching welding videos (welding tips and tricks dot com is pretty good but not set up as a course, Miller has some very good videos too) I would highly recommend a textbook such as Welding Principles and Applications by Larry Jeffus. This is a text often used in high school/tech school classes and does a really excellent job of explaining both theory and practical stuff. While it is intended to be used by an instructor, it is organized in such a way that you can be your own instructor and do the practice welding activities at each step (then post photos for someone like ShieldArc to critique). If you check out Amazon for used editions it can be had for less than $40 but new is over $140. Again, this is a real text not just some Welding for Dummies pamphlet. Welding: Principles and Applications 6th Ed. (Textbook & Study Guide/Lab Manual): Larry Jeffus: 9781428303751: Amazon.com: Books

thanks Short Kid. It took years of experimentation and lots of practice to get my refinishing skills improved. So when I'm all done with it, it will look good, and the paint will stick...
Just have to get there and gain the experience. But now that I'm retired, and since learning to weld is on my bucket list, this is going to happen.

I know this sounds a little strange but I usually don't break my equipment. It's stuff I buy, like this mower, that I need to fix.
Plus, I like older, simpler machinery and think we should preserve it, the EPA willing. And I'm just starting to collect older interesting machinery, held back by lack of storage.
Now I have it...:licking:

Personally I have a very strong protective nature. Somehow that translates to enjoying restoring old machinery and making them useful again. I just find it very satisfying, and
am doing a bit of general recycling while I'm at it. I look at machinery abandoned in a field, and I just want to go "rescue" it.
Or more normally, for those of us who enjoy walking the boneyards of older tractor and mower shops, and checking out the veritable treasure trove of old machinery back there,
well those boneyard walks are one of the favorite things I do with one other Gravely nut and there's always something new at one of the three dealers we "inspect" regularly. Great fun.
No, I don't normally buy anything, but the "what is that thing?" is just fun.

All of this rambling to confirm that I think welding will be a satisfying adventure. And once I have the welder, I won't be afraid to buy stuff with a heart of gold and a body of cracks...
All good. Drew

/ weld grinding tips needed #39  
If you want to restore old machinery you will definitely enjoy welding.. I would still stick with a 220 volt Stick machine, not a 110v mig.. The price is better and the 110 volt mig is not really suitable for heavy duty welding like you are wanting to do.. I would lean more to that Everlast PA200 or the Longivity Stickweld 250. Something with some current capacity. Ask ShieldArc again, and don't let him fool you about the "just starting out hobbyist crap" He has forgotten more about welding than most of us know.

James K0UA

Ed,
been a long time since I've been in college...but I bought the book, 35 bucks and cheap shipping, like new.
and there will be a quiz...:D
many thanks
Drew