weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed #41  
Ed,
been a long time since I've been in college...but I bought the book, 35 bucks and cheap shipping, like new.
and there will be a quiz...:D
many thanks
Drew

You won't regret it. I have two copies. One for the garage/workshop and one for, well, shall we say the toilet area. You never know when you are going to want to study up on welding!

/ weld grinding tips needed
Jim, thanks. I thought about what you said, and understand the 220 issue. If I weld a piece of half inch steel to something much larger and thicker,
do I need the extra power to get enough penetration? Make the right puddle?

Boy, knowing where to set that dial is a going to be an interesting learning curve. As long as I can dial a larger unit back, getting more capacity makes sense,
within reason, as I am buying tools "for life" now. Drew

You won't regret it. I have two copies. One for the garage/workshop and one for, well, shall we say the toilet area. You never know when you are going to want to study up on welding!

I am laughing more than you can imagine because I was thinking exactly the same thing, my reading basket near the throne. Even wondered if we should start a new thread "what's in your bathroom?"...:D
Kinda rag earred the Northern Tools catalog, that old Tractorhouse is still interesting, all those neat sixties and seventies JD tractors. Want to restore one some day. So they can't go...sigh.
Something has to go...

/ weld grinding tips needed #44  
I would not be too hard on the guy who did the welding .Sound's like he was told to do it cheap , fast and easy . Most of it looks good and will certainly hold . The ugly weld on the corner looks like layers of metal which means rust and is hard to clean up .He could have done a little touch up on it but he did'nt , who knows .

I agree. I know the guy who did it, he's done other welding for me, and he was given a rusted out POS to work with.
I guess if he finished it all beautifully I'd never learn how to weld. And he wasn't instructed to "go all the way around" though I kinda hoped he would...

I have cracks on my Honda powered Gravely wing mower, that deck is nowhere as bad as this one, but has a bunch of cracks in it. The prior owner had an apple orchard
and I think he got his apples down by ramming the wing mower into the trunk. Man that thing took some abuse and the PO really jury rigged it with home made materials.
I've got that one fixed and running nicely, just needs welding too. And I was smart enough to not paint it (yet) since I knew at some point those cracks really had to be fixed.
So I have two decks to weld, and paint. I do keep busy. :)

/ weld grinding tips needed #46  

Attachments

• Double bevel.jpg
    Double bevel.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 108
  • root face.jpg
    root face.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 411
  • T-joint.jpg
    T-joint.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 140
  • Start tab.JPG
    Start tab.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 109
   / weld grinding tips needed #47  
Jim, thanks. I thought about what you said, and understand the 220 issue. If I weld a piece of half inch steel to something much larger and thicker,
do I need the extra power to get enough penetration? Make the right puddle?

Boy, knowing where to set that dial is a going to be an interesting learning curve. As long as I can dial a larger unit back, getting more capacity makes sense,
within reason, as I am buying tools "for life" now. Drew

yes you need some power when you start welding bigger things to get good penetration. You can make lots of passes with a smaller welder if you joint prep really well. Keep in mind a lot of things you will want to weld are going to be a little rusty, and stick is your best bet if the joints arent perfectly clean and pretty. Also I think you are going to weld a lot outdoors on bigger machinery. Stick is the best bet their too. As the wind blows the shielding gas away from MIG.. Of course you can use gasless wire, Also known as Flux Core to get around that. Yes much easier to turn a Knob back, for less power, but you cannot turn one up for more past the design of the machine.

James K0UA

/ weld grinding tips needed #49  
daugen I wish we lived closer so I could share some ideas and show you some of my collection. I also restore small tractors. What I have ranges from the 30's into the 70's. this pix is from a recent show I displayed at. I have a Lincoln 110v mig and an Everlast 220v dc welder that I just got last summer, with these I can do from the tin to the hitch I made to hook a 6 1/2' Meyers power angle.

Last edited:
   / weld grinding tips needed #50  
DSCF0188 (Small).jpgdaugen sorry for the stupidity, I just can't post a pix.

Last edited: