weld grinding tips needed

/ weld grinding tips needed
I noticed that too. Honestly, I don't know what he intends to do, but I'm surprised to hear him talking about 1/2" and thicker. I can't really imagine what "around-the-farm" repairs would involve metal that thick. That sounds a lot like structural stuff to me. I look at my trailer, my tractor, even my truck... hardly anything on there is over 3/8", and most is under 1/4".

As for MIG, when I first started welding, I had to decide between stick or wire-feed, and I settled on stick. I can see now that if my main concern was just git-r-done, MIG would be the right choice. Not that MIG doesn't require skill too, but with MIG, you can really lay down the welds with an efficiency and ease that you can't do with stick. Oh, and did I mention no cleaning slag either? Yeah. Gotta love that. MIG machines can also get down to a thinness that stick struggles with. But I always have to do things the hard way, and I do like the simplicity of stick. No gas, no bottles, no gun, no feed wheels. Just an electrode, a stick, and a ground clamp. As for TIG, I just think TIG is a really beautiful process, and I mean that in every sense of the word too--aesthetically and everything. I look forward to learning TIG someday.

just fyi: my subsoiler is seriously HD, and I guarantee you there are parts of it thicker than 3/8, the main shank anyway, and I was thinking of installing guides to lay pipe. Of course the guide is not that thick but it's going up against
something thick, which was what I was trying to get across. But normally? Mower deck material and sometimes that can be double layered on big mowers, so there's some beef there too. I figured half inch was largest/worst case
so that's the example I used. These mower decks could probably be repaired with a 50 dollar welder from HF.

Attachments

• P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 110
   / weld grinding tips needed #72  
weld.gif
for us unwashed and dumb, could you explain what makes a 6010 rod "special" and why a separate port would make it run better?
General purpose rod? Do some rods work with AC and some with DC better?
sorry, you guys are talking over my head, which clearly doesn't take much.

different rods for different materials.. and the numbers mean different things.

for instance the first digits 6 is for 60k tensile strength.. 7 for 70.. etc...

this chart explains some of it...

/ weld grinding tips needed #73  
So really put some heat on it during the first 30 days and then relax.
In 1982 the company I was working for bought me a brand new Lincoln SAE-400 diesel drive. The machine wasn't working quite right, so I went to the superintendent and ask him to have the Lincoln repair tech come out and look at the machine. He said to shut the machine off, clamp the ground clamp and stinger together, turn the machine all the way up and re-start it, run it until the leads start to smoke!:eek: I about fell over, he replied just do it! I did, the machine worked perfect from then on.:laughing:

Attachments

• SAE 400 a.jpg
    SAE 400 a.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 87
  • SAE-400 fp.jpg
    SAE-400 fp.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 85
   / weld grinding tips needed #74  
Shield Arc said:
Did you ever get that book? If so how do you like it?
I did get it. It is helpful, but a bit dated with the trig tables. A lot of info I'm never going to use, but I like to learn about new things. Those few pages that you posted scans of on how to cut a header and branch...., I had already figured out an alternate way to lay it out using a calculator. But if you don't want to cut into the header, the branch layout needs to be a little different.
(using the pipe as structure, not plumbing) But it's a good place to start. For smaller tube, I use a program that will give you a curve that you can print and cut out. But you are limited by your paper size.

I liked the orange peel layout, but it didn't give the formula, just a table for some pipe sizes. No good for tubing. But with the book info I figured out the formula myself.

/ weld grinding tips needed #75  
Sorry about that, sounds like you are a little disappointed.

/ weld grinding tips needed #76  
Shield Arc said:
Sorry about that, sounds like you are a little disappointed.

Just a little. But no regrets. It's a good reference. At arround $8 shipped how could I go wrong.

After learning some new terms, I did a google search and found a good PDF of pipe welding from union carbide. I'm guessing from the '60s.

Any other welding books you could recomend? I'm going too look for a beginners book on trig this weekend.

/ weld grinding tips needed #77  

Attachments

• Lincoln Handbook.jpg
    Lincoln Handbook.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 112
  • Therory & Practice.jpg
    Therory & Practice.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Metals How to Weld.jpg
    Metals How to Weld.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Heat Shrink.jpg
    Heat Shrink.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 103
  • GTAW.jpg
    GTAW.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 91
   / weld grinding tips needed #78  
I have a one more, but the site won't let me unload it for some reason!:confused3: Maybe later?

Attachments

• Design of Weldments.jpg
    Design of Weldments.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 80
   / weld grinding tips needed #79  
Here we go!:confused3:

Attachments

• Tubular Steel Structures.jpg
    Tubular Steel Structures.jpg
    819.5 KB · Views: 82
   / weld grinding tips needed #80  
I forgot about this one. :eek: