Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #1  

massey184ferguson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 184-4
There is a crack in the frame of my Massey Ferguson 236 Loader,,, is this common for this loader... seems most pics I have seen on the internet have a patch job.
Any tips on fixing it? I suppose the whole loader would have to be removed to weld because part of the frame is a reservoir. It is cracked on one side and starting to crack on the other. It must be a design flaw. I was thinking of welding the crack then making some brackets to strengthen the joint. It isn't an emergency because you can still use the loader but whenever down pressure is placed on the bucket, the crack expands open. Any ideas Click on the picture below. It is cracked on the line. I don't have any closups of the crack at the moment but I'll try to get some.
Thanks

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #2  
I don't see any pictures. Close up pictures would be nice.
Generally, carbon air arc / grind open the crack, weld up, grind flush, and fish plate. Remember no 90-degree corners on the fish plates.;)

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236
forumloader.jpg

I'll try to get closeups as soon as possible
What is it about 90 degree fishplates?

Sorry it took so long to get some pictures up, was away from home for awhile.
The brackets that are welded on were there when I got the tractor.
100_5302.jpg100_5303.jpg100_5304.jpg100_5305.jpg100_5306.jpg100_5307.jpg100_5308.jpg100_5309.jpg100_5310.jpg

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #6  
There must be a design problem with that loader arm.
Don't suppose you have a air carbon arc? But a grinder will work. I'd grind it all down, grind a bevel in the crack. Are you any good with open root welding? Then I would cut out long fish plates, and weld them on both sides of the C-channel. Drill some holes in the center of the fish plates, and plug weld the holes up. I think I'd use 3/8 or 1/2-inch thick plate for the fish plates.

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #7  
cut them goofy supports off grind it out .then weld it with 6011 and 7018.then plate it.after that it should be good to go.it is not uncommon for loaders to develop cracks.that crack was not repaired correctly.i think 3/8 plate would be plenty.

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #8  
I was just thinking, you can use the backside fish plate for your backing bar. Grind a bevel on both sides of that crack, and grind a gap about 1/4-inch wide. Place the fish plate on the inside of the loader arm and weld up the gap.

Here is a picture of a vertical up 7018 weld with bevel on both sides, and a backer bar.

Attachments

• vertical root.jpg
    vertical root.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 679
So would I be better off just using a flat piece of fishplate or getting a piece of plate bent up to fit over the c channel? How long should the fishplate be? Any details appreciated. The arm is made of a c channel with a flat piece welded on the inside of the c channel. So how do I access the other side of the crack, since the flat piece is not cracked on the inside. See picture

100_5306.jpg

/ Loader Frame Cracked Massey Ferguson 236 #10  
I don't know if it is necessary to have a flange on the fish plate. If anything I think I would cut out the fish plate, and skip weld a piece of flatbar top and bottom, for the back side only. And I would place it on the inside of the C-channel arm. I would also go long on the fish plate, you want to pick up some square inches here. I would cut a half circle on the fish plate towards the bucket. And a square end to fit up against the vertical support arm on the other end.