Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians

/ Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians #1  

lostcause

Platinum Member
I know there are some electricians out there, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this:

we all know you can attach multiple receptacles to a single 120V circuit, providing the breaker and wire are sized to satisfy the sum of everything attached. This would be like having a drop light plugged in to one, a fan running on another, and then using a drill on another. The sum of all of these would be less than the 15A (assumed) circuit.

Can you do anything similar with 240V circuits and satisfy code? Say you have an existing 240V/40A circuit: is there any way to attach two separate 230V/8A tools to it? I'm trying to figure a way to avoid having to plug and unplug these, as it is sometimes awkward having to crawl around to do this. I don't want to run another circuit because the building is all wired and the inside is sheathed. I'll stick to the plug and unplug method if I have to, but logic would say that it should be able to be done.

/ Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians #2  
As long as the wire is sized adequately (#8 CU or #6 AL wire probably depending on the run) and all receptacles are sized for the circuit capacity, then you are good. For 40 amp circuits, 50 amp receptacles and cord sets (to the devices) are most commonly used.

/ Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians
As long as the wire is sized adequately (#8 CU or #6 AL wire probably depending on the run) and all receptacles are sized for the circuit capacity, then you are good. For 40 amp circuits, 50 amp receptacles and cord sets (to the devices) are most commonly used.

the circuit is capable of carrying 40A - I had an extra length of 8-3 wire, so when i put the box in, i ran the extra circuit for some sort of future expansion. i actually used a 30A breaker and 30A dryer style receptacle so it wouldn't be confused with the 50A welder circuit. There is currently a double width box in the wall with the 30A receptacle and I'd like to change it over to hold two small receptacles. I haven't looked, but whatever the smallest receptacle is that will take a #8 wire is what I'd like to use, if there is anything that will fit that way.

/ Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians
I think I found the answer to my question. I found images for a 6-20 duplex receptacle. The only issue would be the wires. Can you crimp ring / spade terminals on a wire in order to connect to the receptacle? I doubt a #8 wire can connect directly to a 20A receptacle. I'd change the breaker to a 20A too, of course.

/ Tool and equipment wiring question for the electricians #5  
The one thing you have to keep in mind is what ever size the breaker that's the smallest size receptacle amperage wise. Example 120v circuit 20amp breaker all recepts 20amps. 240v 40 amp circuit nothing smaller than 40amp recepts you can go bigger but if you go smaller you have no protection