A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder.

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #1  

Markcuda

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 X754,54 inch HC deck.
As some here may know I ordered a new Everlast I-MIG 205 welder a few weeks ago.
It worked for just a minute or so, Mark from Everlast and I tried to diagnose the welder
but to no avail.
Oleg, also from Everlast offered me a full refund, I turned it down and he gave me a great
deal on a 250P. So the 205 was sent back and a 250P was on its way.
For starters, the welder is very robust as in built very well. I welded with it last Saturday
and it performed flawlessly all day. I dabbled a little bit with the pulse feature but feel I
need more input on adjusting the 3 knobs. As some may know, I weld 8 hours a day, 5
days a week. I go through a 44 pound spool of Lincoln L50 wire every 2 days. So, I feel I'm
not a novice ;)
This weekend I will try and dabble with the stick welding feature but I was too excited
welding with the mig that the stick could wait. The wife and I are building (Yes, the wife
and I) ;) a cart for the welder. The 250P came with heavy duty wheels but me being the
type of person that I am, I just felt this welder justifies its own cart. In the future, I would
like to purchase a plasma cutter so that will also be put on the cart.
As far as the welds, other than more spatter than I am used too, the welds were terrific.
If this thread doesn't get shut down like my other one did, I will add to it as my welding cart
progresses. As far as Mark and Oleg go, I could not pick two better individuals to do business
with. Both were terrific in the purchase process, shipping process and the set-up process.
In a heartbeat, I would deal with these two people again without any hesitation.

Attachments

• 01-26-13 Welder 5.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 5.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 01-26-13 Welder 8.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 8.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 01-26-13 Welder 10.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 10.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 667
  • 01-26-13 Welder 12.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 12.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 604
   / A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder.
A few more pictures.

Attachments

• 01-26-13 Welder 3.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 3.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 01-26-13 Welder 16.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 16.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 430
  • 01-26-13 Welder 15.JPG
    01-26-13 Welder 15.JPG
    869.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 01-26-13 Welder 7.jpg
    01-26-13 Welder 7.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 498
   / A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #3  
Glad you are enjoying the new machine. I have never used a pulsed mig before, but it sure looks nice. I'm interested in how it will handle different rods. Have fun.

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder.
This Sunday I will try some 6011 rods.

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #5  
I don't think I've played with the pulse on my V350-Pro yet. I understand it is more for very thin material, and very helpful on thin stainless steel.

Far as the splatter, I haven't seen it with Mig wire, but I'm convinced these inverters like different brands of SMAW rods. My V350-Pro loves ESAB's Atom Arc 7018, where as member Furu Longevity Stickweld 250 loves Lincoln's Excalibur 7018.

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #6  
I lied:eek:, I did play with the pulse some, but with aluminum.

Attachments

• Flat fillet.JPG
    Flat fillet.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 948
  • corner joint clean.JPG
    corner joint clean.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 378
  • corner penetration.JPG
    corner penetration.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 460
  • 5356 flat.JPG
    5356 flat.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 631
   / A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #7  
Pulse is actually a replacement for Spray Arc. No Spatter, High Speed and Hot !.. Welds through mill scale, medium rust, dirt and grease. This unit has a different pulse set up than I am used to but It can be set up similar to an Ac Tig. Frequency is usually pulses per second which in Mig should be fairly high. Pulse volts is a new one to me but I think % would be the amout of time the wave is at peak. If my machine was in front of me I could offere some % help and if you don't have it by Friday, I will try to help. This will take you a little doing but once you get it, You will never have spatter again. It would also be cool to try your pulse frequency turned down low to see if it will pulse at like 1 or 2 per second. If it will and it will still burn the wire, It may be a neat thin material option. I would like to play with it for a couple days.

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #8  
Pulse is actually a replacement for Spray Arc. No Spatter, High Speed and Hot !.. Welds through mill scale, medium rust, dirt and grease.
Really? Don't think I've ever heard this before!:confused3:
When I first got my Dynasty 300, I was having trouble with aluminum fillet welds. I was getting what I describe as a horseshoe, a small area where the puddle was not liquid, right where the two plates joined. I was told to use the pulse to narrow the arc. I found using 85% background, 80% peak time, and 200 pulses per second worked best. What little thin aluminum I weld with the Dynasty I just adjust the AC frequency. Lower frequency for thin aluminum, and high frequency when I want a lot of penetration.
See, learn something here just about everyday! :thumbsup:

/ A partial review of my new Everlast 250P welder. #10  
If you are welding aluminum, you are in spray transfer anyway... so pulsed spray is a natural for it.

The pulse on our machines is a simple or single pulse, not a pulse on pulse, stair stepped pulse. But it is effective. The lowest pulse rate is 20, and I believe the highest is 200 or so.

The theory behind pulsed spray is that the welder drops out of spray and into the globular transfer range just long enough to cool the weld a little, but not long enough to allow any metal transfer.

People (wrongly) buy our MIGS to use the pulse in short arc transfer...missing the point entirely. It just yields a lower quality weld. Keep the pulse off while in short arc...and as the Lincoln article referenced, reduce adjustable inductance(arc force) while in pulse to get maximum effect.