Shielding gases

/ Shielding gases #21  
This was in the 1970s, the shop dealt with a little independent called Oxygen Sales. Fast forward 20+ years then here comes Air Gas who bought up just about all the little independents.

I remember around that time Air Liquid had some stores in the bigger cities. Maybe Oxygen Sales got their gases from them? :confused3:

/ Shielding gases #23  
With everything included, and even if it is the construction model that sounds like a really good deal. :thumbsup:

/ Shielding gases #24  
Pulse Trumps Spray any day. You do need about 90% argon to get to spray but remember the old 75/22/3 Argon Co2 with 2-3% O2..You could get close to true spray with a smaller machine ( ESAB 250 ) but you suffer from adding Oxides to your welds. Some still believe in it. Praxair called it Stargon. Old School gas.

What do you mean "close"?lol. I have one (ESAB MM250), and it sprays easily with plenty to spare. It's a true spray without a single bobble on .035. (first picture on left.) It's actually 270 amps. I use C-18. I also use it for short circuit transfer with the Everlast i mig 160. It has plenty of character, but none of the spatter or costly cleanup time. (last two pictures)

Attachments

• welding pics 013.jpg
    welding pics 013.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20110609_14.JPG
    20110609_14.JPG
    758 KB · Views: 125
  • 20110609_16.JPG
    20110609_16.JPG
    755.1 KB · Views: 112
   / Shielding gases
What do you mean "close"?lol. I have one (ESAB MM250), and it sprays easily with plenty to spare. It's a true spray without a single bobble on .035. (first picture on left.) It's actually 270 amps. I use C-18. I also use it for short circuit transfer with the Everlast i mig 160. It has plenty of character, but none of the spatter or costly cleanup time. (last two pictures)

Nice looking beads! My miller 252 will get hot enough for spray transfer also.

/ Shielding gases
Nice looking beads! My miller 252 will get hot enough for spray transfer also.

Hey Mark may be a dumb question, but what's the c18.

/ Shielding gases #27  
Hey Mark may be a dumb question, but what's the c18.

In some areas of the country it's hard to find. It's a proprietary blend from Airgas. It's 82% Ar, 18% CO2. It gives you the ability to spray, but doesn't make the puddle so wet from too high of an argon content that the puddle is completely uncontrollable. I love it. I fabricate sawmills and some farm equipment on the side, and it reduces my cleanup time enough that the mild extra cost pays for its self quite easily. It yields beautiful, "shiny" welds...without the ugly scaly look of the oxidized CO2 welds.

/ Shielding gases #28  

I meant Close to Spray with Stargon Gas. Never said your 250 amp units didn't have enough " power ". I've owned several old L-Tec Airco and Esab 250 Mig Masters back in the day. I had the 1st factory prototype Esab 251 power supply with a 4HD feeder. Also a 300I Integrated soft key inverter as well as a stand alone 300i power supply with 4HD. I know the capabilities.

Last edited:
   / Shielding gases #29  
When I was running a welding business I had a free source for argon so I bought 2 flow meters and hooked them up together with one bottle of argon and one bottle of co2. I found I can mix what I wanted and found I could weld thin metal welds. I still have this setup and don't think I want to go back to the standard 75/25 mix.

/ Shielding gases #30  
I have a mixer and I agree. Nice to dial a mix.