Shielding gases

/ Shielding gases #41  
Spray transfer leaves a virtually smooth weld. I don't see much V's in my welds with spray. Done right, spray transfer only is a quiet hiss. It's hard to tell as there are smooth areas, and then V's. Might be the gas you were using.

/ Shielding gases
The machine is set to written weld procedure that was written by the engineer or metallurgist. At least that is what I've been told when taking tests. After your hired I guess it doesn't matter weld the way I wanted.

/ Shielding gases
Spray transfer leaves a virtually smooth weld. I don't see much V's in my welds with spray. Done right, spray transfer only is a quiet hiss. It's hard to tell as there are smooth areas, and then V's. Might be the gas you were using.

Yep! My son was in the shop working on something else. Came over to see what was up when he heard the hiss!!!!!

/ Shielding gases #44  
Could also be your wire. Not much spatter in Spray Mode. None usually. looks hot though.

/ Shielding gases
Could also be your wire. Not much spatter in Spray Mode. None usually. looks hot though.

The prostar and hobart wire acted the same. I had to look at the book a couple of times to check the setting, but it was what they were calling for. Way hotter than what I would use!

/ Shielding gases #46  
The prostar and hobart wire acted the same. I had to look at the book a couple of times to check the setting, but it was what they were calling for. Way hotter than what I would use!

If you aren't using a gas mix rated for spray, such as 75/25 then the welder isn't going to give you what you need. It may seem like spray, but it is not. The guidelines assume proper gas mix for the amp/volt range...and if you are using 75/25 at a spray setting, it's just as bad as a wrong setting.

/ Shielding gases
That's the setting for 75/25 .035 wire welding 1/2". No big deal I was just surprised when I fired up for the first time. Thought I would use the book to get me in the ball park. The other settings I've used from the book have been fairly close. Always need tweaking to what you like though!