Shielding gases

/ Shielding gases #1  

Bday

Silver Member
Tractor
53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A
What gas do you guy's like for steel. I like the bead appearance you get with co2 , but they mention spatter as an issue. We used co2 in school, and I can't recall spatter as an issue. Since I have been in the industry, I have always used 75/25. I use this at my shop also. Thinking about getting a bottle of co2. I have read about different mixes out there. Anyone use something different. Thanks!

/ Shielding gases #2  
We use CO2, cheap and readily available. Usually if I have spatter issues its because the metal isnt clean or my settings are off, dont have too much issue when all is right it seems. If anything a quick cleanup with a grinder takes it off easily and I usually pass the grinder around the workpiece anyway to deburr edges and such.

/ Shielding gases #3  
I used co2 on the things that looks did not matter as much, but used mix on things that had to look good. This is for mig only, I am told co2 wont work on tig as it will ruin the tungston.

/ Shielding gases #4  
I use CO2 because it's a lot less expensive and at my skill level I don't really notice much difference in appearance.

/ Shielding gases #5  
Stargon gets better penetration than argonco2

/ Shielding gases #6  
I always use 75/25 gas with my MM210.

/ Shielding gases #7  
If you really want to turbo charge your welds, go with some C10. Or 98% argon, and 2% oxygen.
This weld was made with C10.

Attachments

• A 29.0.JPG
    A 29.0.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 207
   / Shielding gases #8  
What gas do you guy's like for steel. I like the bead appearance you get with co2 , but they mention spatter as an issue. We used co2 in school, and I can't recall spatter as an issue. Since I have been in the industry, I have always used 75/25. I use this at my shop also. Thinking about getting a bottle of co2. I have read about different mixes out there. Anyone use something different. Thanks!

What size wire and input power are you using? (110 or 220?)

I personally use CO2 but only do occasional repairs/fabrication.

A med size bottle lasts me years.

SA- that weld was done on spray transfer?

/ Shielding gases
If you really want to turbo charge your welds, go with some C10. Or 98% argon, and 2% oxygen.
This weld was made with C10.

Hey shield arc I like the spray transfer. I also like to see some character to the bead. When I was in school they taught us less heat and more technique. I personally like the mig welds that take on a Tig welded appearance. Man we could lay some pretty welds with the 3 phase units at work.