Wet 7018.

/ Wet 7018. #21  
so, am I correct in assuming that 70xx is the only rod that really needs to be in an oven? I also use 6010, and on a very rare occasion 6013, and I have a little stainless laying around, but it is my understanding that at least 6010 is fine moist.

I think you can weld with 6010 underwater ...

/ Wet 7018. #22  
After reading about rod ovens and keeping 7018's dry, I came up with a REDNECK oven at least for the winter. I have been away from welding for a long time so maybe I just need to visit the bathroom. I got a box of 7018's at Lowes to try them, made by Lincoln or at least have Lincoln on the box. The rod right out of the box, made me look like I never held a stinger. SOOOOOOO I got a big piece of tin foil and wrapped some rods in it and placed on top of my wood burner. When I got a chance try my luck again, the beads looked better. I guess the cardboard box they are in didn't do too well. So now I keep a couple on the stove, when I use them I put a couple more on.

/ Wet 7018. #23  
After reading about rod ovens and keeping 7018's dry, I came up with a REDNECK oven at least for the winter. I have been away from welding for a long time so maybe I just need to visit the bathroom. I got a box of 7018's at Lowes to try them, made by Lincoln or at least have Lincoln on the box. The rod right out of the box, made me look like I never held a stinger. SOOOOOOO I got a big piece of tin foil and wrapped some rods in it and placed on top of my wood burner. When I got a chance try my luck again, the beads looked better. I guess the cardboard box they are in didn't do too well. So now I keep a couple on the stove, when I use them I put a couple more on.

the "redneck" rod ovens I have heard of involved an refrigerator with a light bulb. Sounds easy enough, but I would like to have a little smaller box for them.

/ Wet 7018.
Before I found good deals on rod ovens, I used one of those Little Chief smokers with a heat lamp in it that was given to me. 7018 just runs smoother when it is hot.

Attachments

• Smoker 1.JPG
    Smoker 1.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Smoker 2.JPG
    Smoker 2.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 138
   / Wet 7018. #25  
so, am I correct in assuming that 70xx is the only rod that really needs to be in an oven? I also use 6010, and on a very rare occasion 6013, and I have a little stainless laying around, but it is my understanding that at least 6010 is fine moist.

All the stainless steel rods I have ever used required hot storage. 60xx just need to be kept dry.

/ Wet 7018. #26  
Before I found good deals on rod ovens, I used one of those Little Chief smokers with a heat lamp in it that was given to me. 7018 just runs smoother when it is hot.
Keeping 7018 in a box with a light bulb will help keep them from absorbing moisture but unless the temps stay above 212F they wont completely dry. I had the same set up as your photo but after about a year the rods were forming a white powder on them and some rust on the ends. That is when I saw the Craigslist ad for a 350# Phoenix oven for $150 IIRC. I was in Nigeria at the time and had to get my daughter to go pick it up for me, but is works as it is supposed to. I keep the thermo on 350F and its on 24-7. I am still using up the 300# that I got from my next door neighbor in Houston before I moved up to Ark 3 years ago. It takes a lot of repairs to burn that many rods, and I have about 3 more unopened 50# cans of 7018 and a couple cans of 6010 that my brother gave me.

/ Wet 7018. #28  
hope he wasn't trying to find the tractor he found on CL for $2k.

psst... it doesn't exist!

:)

/ Wet 7018. #29  
Is it posssible to heat the rod that has been stored in its container for long periods with a torch to get the moisture out before using it and how will it run?

/ Wet 7018. #30  
I really hate carpenters , especially trying to dig a hole and pour walls , They are the primo layout PEOPLE and always miss everything by a foot , too short .