Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #21  
Carl, if I read your post correctly in comparison to the photos, are you recommending that I lift the hooks up slightly from the surface I'm going to weld them to? If so, what do recommend, 1/16th or so?
You don't have to, it is just a suggestion. It just insures that you get 100 + % penetration. It is a form of open root welding.

Oh I forgot, if you decide to gap the hooks. 1/16" is plenty, or even just use the same wire you will be using to weld the hooks on with. .035"?

Attachments

• Gap.JPG
    Gap.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 215
  • 3A.jpg
    3A.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 9A.jpg
    9A.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 170
   / Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?
You don't have to, it is just a suggestion. It just insures that you get 100 + % penetration. It is a form of open root welding.

Oh I forgot, if you decide to gap the hooks. 1/16" is plenty, or even just use the same wire you will be using to weld the hooks on with. .035"?

Yup, .035 with CO2/Argon mix gas.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #23  
Just a good rule of thumb. Bevel, and gap everything, hard to go wrong when doing those two things.
But, placing a gap, or doing open root welding takes more time to get use to. ;)

Just a good rule of thumb. Bevel, and gap everything, hard to go wrong when doing those two things.
But, placing a gap, or doing open root welding takes more time to get use to. ;)

I'll add it to my practice welds and see how I do!

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #25  
I'll add it to my practice welds and see how I do!
The big problem with Mig welding is, anybody can pick one up and make a very pretty weld. I'll bet you anything, you let me set your machine, and stand over your shoulder for 5-minutes, and I'll have you laying down beautiful welds! Does that mean you're ready to build a trailer by yourself that is gonna be going down the hiway? NO WAY! Most people don't understand how important joint prep is to welding! There is way more to welding, than pulling a trigger on a Mig machine! ;)

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #26  
The big problem with Mig welding is, anybody can pick one up and make a very pretty weld. I'll bet you anything, you let me set your machine, and stand over your shoulder for 5-minutes, and I'll have you laying down beautiful welds! Does that mean you're ready to build a trailer by yourself that is gonna be going down the hiway? NO WAY! Most people don't understand how important joint prep is to welding! There is way more to welding, than pulling a trigger on a Mig machine! ;)

Couldn't agree more. That is why the suggestion of avoiding MIG and going with stick was made earlier.

One just DOESN'T want those hooks snapping off at an inopportune or critical time.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #27  

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 189
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 193
I'm DEFINITELY going to buy a couple extra hooks and practice welding them. I don't stick weld, only MIG so my choices are limited, that's why I want to make sure I do it right. I'd rather go through a couple hooks for practice than do a shoody job welding them on the bucket and have them fail.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #29  
Multi pass !!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

tumblr_m8q4fokmmU1rdrq5co1_500.jpg

I had the hardest time getting a clean root on those hooks when welding them to a piece of flat stock. The rod was so deep in that I couldn't really see what the puddle was doing.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #30  
I'm DEFINITELY going to buy a couple extra hooks and practice welding them. I don't stick weld, only MIG so my choices are limited, that's why I want to make sure I do it right. I'd rather go through a couple hooks for practice than do a shoody job welding them on the bucket and have them fail.

Weld a good first pass then add another on the bottom toe of that weld. Then one on top of the second weld. Use some scrap pieces to practice on. Check the pics on my post. I pulled out some 30" oaks 50' long from those hooks. Those were even welded with my old Herbert welder!!:confused3: