Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #31  
Couldn't agree more. That is why the suggestion of avoiding MIG and going with stick was made earlier.

One just DOESN'T want those hooks snapping off at an inopportune or critical time.
Did you see I welded my hooks on with 7018? I'm not afraid of Mig / wire feed, but I've probably run more spools of wire than most here have seen. A Mig welder in the wrong hands does give me concern, that is why I try to help as much as I can.;)

Multi pass !!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
You didn't want those hooks to go anywhere did you! :D

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #32  
I'm DEFINITELY going to buy a couple extra hooks and practice welding them. I don't stick weld, only MIG so my choices are limited, that's why I want to make sure I do it right. I'd rather go through a couple hooks for practice than do a shoody job welding them on the bucket and have them fail.

Good idea...one can get poor penetration using stick as well as any other type of welding. Personally, I'm partial to TIG welding, but you'd need a big torch for enough heat to weld those hooks.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #33  
:laughing:
tumblr_m8q4fokmmU1rdrq5co1_500.jpg

I had the hardest time getting a clean root on those hooks when welding them to a piece of flat stock. The rod was so deep in that I couldn't really see what the puddle was doing.

Oh Man!!! What a movie?:laughing:

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #34  
:laughing:
tumblr_m8q4fokmmU1rdrq5co1_500.jpg

I had the hardest time getting a clean root on those hooks when welding them to a piece of flat stock. The rod was so deep in that I couldn't really see what the puddle was doing.

Hate that when that happens!!!!:laughing:

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #35  
Here is one of mine:
Hook Welds.jpg

Miller 210, Lincoln L56 .035" wire, 75/25 gas.

Don't forget to tip the hook slightly away from the first side you tack-the heat will pull it straight, then weld the opposite side.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #36  
Here is one of mine.... Stick rules:cool2:

Attachments

• IMG_20121117_165303_772.jpg
    IMG_20121117_165303_772.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20121117_170314_242.jpg
    IMG_20121117_170314_242.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpg
    IMG_20121117_165336_859.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 144
   / Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #38  
Good looking bead, Bro...

Thanks Roy, just my little chicom welder you see there at 125 amps some 1/8 inch US Forge 7018 .
This is on my Kioti, when I looked at the bead, the thought that went through my head was that my bead on the hook looked better than the MIG weld on the the little plate that the Korean guy did.

James K0UA

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #39  
Here is one of mine:
View attachment 302594

Miller 210, Lincoln L56 .035" wire, 75/25 gas.

Don't forget to tip the hook slightly away from the first side you tack-the heat will pull it straight, then weld the opposite side.

Good advice and a good lookin' bead, Kenny!!

I'll admit, I was a pretty decent TIG welder, but I couldn't do crap with MIG or stick!!
Best thing about being certified on TIG (while I was in the Navy) was it helped me identify good welds...and bad welds.

Now that I have a pacemaker, welding machines and I aren't a good mix...