Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I've bought some weldable grab hooks for my FEL that I'm going to weld on to a piece of angle steel on top of the loader bucket. They are the same configuration as the photo below. I'm going to weld them on using a MIG welder and I have a question before I start. Should I grind the bevel off the back side so they sit flat on the steel or leave the bevel and build up the welds in the bevel?

PAB3B.jpg

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #2  
Build it up. Make sure you get a good root pass.

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #3  
I wouldn't MIG them but that's me. If you are very experienced then maybe. The problem is the weld and hook likely will occasionally be used in critical situations.

Grinding the mill scale off of the bevel to bright metal is strongly advised. Same for the parent metal...especially for MIG. The bevel is there so the weld will approach 100% (at least better than a fillet weld would be).

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #4  
I just put the same type of hook on my chain link fence spooler, there is not much bevel, fill it up.;)

Attachments

• Weld hook1.JPG
    Weld hook1.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Weld hook2.JPG
    Weld hook2.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 360
   / Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #5  
I always thought when welding flush pieces that the edges should be beveled to give the weld more hold...??

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks?
Thanks all.....

Clean em up, clean up the steel on the angle and fill em up!

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #7  
Remember now, if you are going to use Mig. Weld as hot as you can handle it! :thumbsup:

Remember now, if you are going to use Mig. Weld as hot as you can handle it! :thumbsup:

Carl, would it help if I preheated the hook with a propane torch or just run the welder hot?

/ Grind the bevel off weldable hooks? #9  
As long as the hook and angle iron are over 50-degrees, I wouldn't worry about it. Your 187 is going to be plenty of welder for this task.

But lets see pictures first! ;)

As long as the hook and angle iron are over 50-degrees, I wouldn't worry about it. Your 187 is going to be plenty of welder for this task.

But lets see pictures first! ;)

Because I want to make sure I get the welds right I think I may buy a couple more hooks just to do some practice welds on. For the $10 that the two hooks cost I'll have the piece of mind knowing that I'm welding them correctly. As soon as I get some coupons or other scrap to practice on I'll post the pictures for you to critique for me, then I'll do the practice welds on the spare hooks.

Thanks!