Boiler plate?

/ Boiler plate? #11  
Cool... I went to that school. Tri-Mark and Hobart are both part of ITW with Miller. I'll send you pics when I get back.

/ Boiler plate?
Cool... I went to that school. Tri-Mark and Hobart are both part of ITW with Miller. I'll send you pics when I get back.

Hey Yomax what year did you go? I went in 90-91.

/ Boiler plate? #13  
Any pics you might have would be good.
I talked to my relative that is a metallurgist for the filler division that is part of the Hobart Bros welding school. I thought it was Tri Mark not sure what it is now that miller is involved. Anyway , he told me to stick with carbon steel due to the fact that chlorides in heated water react to cheap stainless steel and actually will not last very long at all. He mentioned the thermal qualities on stainless makes it more unstable or something to that effect. He said the higher quality stainless ,that would work, would make a boiler unit priced way to high to build. Anyway that was the info I got from a guy with a degree.
Your relative is absolutely right in that Chlorides in treated water will adversely affect alloys with high chromium content like 300 series stainless and those aren't CHEAP. Also sulfides found in most ashes will cause cracks in S.S. You would be better off putting in a sacrificial carbon steel plate in the firebox that could be removed easily when the ashes finally eat it up. I would look for something that you could slide in on top of the exterior skin or better still line the firebox with fire brick or poured in place mortar for a permanent fix that should never need any repair

/ Boiler plate?
Your relative is absolutely right in that Chlorides in treated water will adversely affect alloys with high chromium content like 300 series stainless and those aren't CHEAP. Also sulfides found in most ashes will cause cracks in S.S. You would be better off putting in a sacrificial carbon steel plate in the firebox that could be removed easily when the ashes finally eat it up. I would look for something that you could slide in on top of the exterior skin or better still line the firebox with fire brick or poured in place mortar for a permanent fix that should never need any repair

Thanks Gary, I'm sticking with carbon steel!!!