Just an observation (realization)

/ Just an observation (realization) #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
With the cost of steel these days I'm sure I am not the only one that uses what they have and salvages what they can...

For those relatively new to welding...don't judge your advancing skills by the look of your welds when you are using really rusted and pitted material...

because of the mobility I have most recently been using a 110V 140A 'Hobart Handler' and even though the welds are less than satisfactory looking...(using heavily rusted and pitted steel) the welds have performed very well under hard work loads...BUT...

I recently started a fabrication using new steel (same welder, same settings for the gauge of material) and the "looks" of the welds are like night and day from using salvaged material...

So my point is...don't judge your welding ability solely on looks when using rusted/pitted material...

/ Just an observation (realization) #2  
Rust is a contamination, so if it is not removed you can expect problems in many processes. Now maybe 6011 would be fine, but it is best practice to clean to shiny metal before welding...

/ Just an observation (realization) #3  
Rust is a contamination, so if it is not removed you can expect problems in many processes. Now maybe 6011 would be fine, but it is best practice to clean to shiny metal before welding...

Yep. A lot of folks start before their ready, and quit before their through. As far as rust goes, cutting torch will do better with rust. Hard to rust, rusted steel.

/ Just an observation (realization)

The poor (looking) results I experienced with rusted/pitted steel were ground and brushed prior to welding...perhaps some of the difference is the older steel is harder than the new stuff ?

/ Just an observation (realization) #5  
The poor (looking) results I experienced with rusted/pitted steel were ground and brushed prior to welding...perhaps some of the difference is the older steel is harder than the new stuff ?

Well steel is porous and moisture gets in it, so I reason rust could be in there too. If you mig, there is no cleaning action from a flux, and that trash doesn't float out like flux core or stick. I bet a little preheat will fix it.
Disclaimer: I don't wire weld a lot.

/ Just an observation (realization) #6  
I try real hard never to throw away any steel pieces, I have a pail, for scrap, yesterday, I replaced the gasket on the furnace, The adjuster would not cover the slack. I found the lever worn, welded that up still not tight, the hook was worn I put a 3/8 x2 piece of 1/4 inch bar on and welded it up. I found it on the ledge of my cut off saw. It worked great, I thought afterwords, what do people do without the knowledge on how to weld and the equipment to do it.
Just a thought!