Update on my Stickweld 250

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #31  
Yeah, Ill work on getting some electrodes together :)

Furu, I don't think something's right with your machine... It could be that it just REALLY needs to be calibrated, or something else isnt right with it... I'd take simon up on his offer to get it checked out... Good luck :)

/ Update on my Stickweld 250
An update on my Stickweld 250. I owe it to anyone reading the thread and to Longevity and Simon.

After the issues that my 250 seemed to have, Longevity offered to have their folks take a look at the machine. It was sent back.
They told me to send everything back so I packed it up in the original carton with cables and everything it came with just like I received it. A week after they received it, according to the tracking number, having heard nothing back I called and emailed the POC that I had been dealing with and CC'ed Simon on the email. By the end of the day I was told that a replacement unit was being shipped out. A couple of days later the box arrived.

My first response when I saw the box was not good as it was the original unit's shipping box with the original unit serial number on the box and I thought they screwed up and sent me back my broken unit. Thinking the worst I opened the box. There were my old cables/stinger and I knew it was bad but wait; the bag around the unit did not have the tears that mine did. I pulled out the 250 and there was a brand new Stickweld 250 with a new more recent serial number. It probably cost Longevity more time to remove the new unit form its shipping box and put it into the original unit's box than to just ship a completely new unit in its box. Me I did not care how they did in-house logistics, as long as I was made whole and the replacement unit worked without the problems that had been identified since I first got my original unit.

I hooked it up and tried it out. I immediately noticed a significant difference in amperage requirements using both 7018 as well as 6010. The arc even to my neophyte ears sounded different from what I had been hearing with the older unit. I did not want to say anything here on line about the replacement unit until I gave Shield Arc a chance to evaluate it with his expertise.

A week ago I got back together with Shield Arc to let him re-evaluate the unit. Bottom line, his comment was there is nothing wrong with this replacement unit. We played with the AF which he had doubted worked from the beginning and he could see incremental differences from 0 -10. For the first time I could actually see the difference in the puddle at the different AF settings which were not there before and if I can see the AF differences as well it was definitely working. We did determine that the machine still has a "preference" for Esab 10P Plus but the 6010 rods that just would not work for hill of beans before now worked pretty well. The 6010 1/8" now was running 45 amps less than before and within 4 amps of his V350-Pro so it seemed to be working really well. I can say that without Shield Arc's identification of the problems I may very well have never known anything was truly wrong but just blundered on with the defective unit. Now that I have seen how the unit is really supposed to work and seen the effect that varying the AF has all I can say is how nice it is. I do not know if it came form the factory "defective" or if the shipping company did something that created the problem but I will say that I thought Longevity (with a little bit of prodding) stood behind their product and made me whole.

I owe thanks to Shield Arc for his assistance and I must say that I thought that Simon/Longevity stood behind getting the problems resolved once it was truly and clearly identified.

The Stickweld may not have the features of a multi-thousand dollar unit but it is not a multi-thousand dollar unit. It is what it is and is very good at what it is targeted to do. I am quite satisfied and have no problem recommending folks to consider the 250 if that is the type you are considering.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #33  
I noticed the arc force on mine didnt seem to make any noticable differnce.. I will have to check it out with an ammeter to see if mine has the same issue. I think we both got ours around the same time, it could have been a bad run. (that said it seems fine to me, and for all I know I might just not know what to look for with arcforce) I hope this doesnt sound like I am suggesting they are a bad unit, I love it, and it is great. If the arc force is down on mine, I cant imagen how nice yours is.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250
Yes we got ours very close in time and I would bet that our serial numbers (my original unit and yours) were not far off. I do not know if an ammeter would show the AF working or not. That is a bit over my understanding of just how it functions. I thought it modified the waveform as well. I can tell you the puddle response is detectably different now at different settings and I could not tell a difference before and even Shield Arc questioned from day one of his eval of the machine if it was working.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #35  
I was thinking the ammeter to see if the settings were off like yours. I know the arc force had almost no effect, I will have to do some tests, and possibly call up simon..

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #36  
I noticed the arc force on mine didnt seem to make any noticable differnce.
On his first machine I didn't think the arc force was working at all. But it is defiantly working now! It doesn't have the range as my V350-Pro has. One way to test your machine, turn the arc force all the way up, take some 1/8-inch 6010 turn the amps up to about 90, and jam it right into the plate, try your best to snuff out the arc. Then turn the arc force all the way down and do the same thing. If it's working you'll see when the arc force is turned up it does help.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #37  
I am actually almost out of rods right now. :ashamed: I have some 3/32 6011, 3/32 and 1/8 6013, and some wet 1/8 7018. I will give it a run through with my whole selection. If it isnt working right, I am calling simon.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #38  
There is night and day difference with Furu's machines. After running his new machine last week, I'll tell you, for the money these machines are hard to beat!:thumbsup: Who knows if they'll stand up to pouring the coals with 5/32-inch 7018 all day long. But my buddy borrowed my PA-200 to rebuild a hay clamp in Montana. He said he stuffed one 5/32-inch 7018 after another for a few hours, and the machine never got hot, not even the power cord got hot!:cool:

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #39  
It isn't working... The arc force does absolutely nothing. I am messaging Simon, to see about a replacement.

/ Update on my Stickweld 250 #40  
It isn't working... The arc force does absolutely nothing. I am messaging Simon, to see about a replacement.
Yeah there must be a bad run of these machines. When you get it replaced, you'll love it! Furu's machine runs 7018 every bit nice as my V350-Pro! And I paid $5,000.00 plus for my machine, guess who has egg on their face? :eek: