Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Trailer build, my first real MIG welds

More details on the thread over the the Projects forum ( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...r-our-rtv.html ), but here are some of the weld pictures.
    All were done on the neighbors 110v Craftsman MIG welder, no idea on the size other than it had a gas bottle on it liked the 0.25 wire and was struggling a little with the 0.30 wire.
    Most were done with .25 wire. When that ran out (in the middle of welding the tongue on), we put on a spool of 0.30 wire and off we went.
    After he did the first couple of tacks, he handed me the gun and said "this is your trailer, you should be welding it" He made sure the welder was set right and gave me advice as I went along, but I welded almost all the welds on the trailer
    I have used a MIG welder before for odds and ends stuff, but this was the first time really making something. I found the following:
    1. I make prettier welds pulling the pool vs pushing it
    2. When the puddle is just right, it looks just like the pool that you get brazing together AC linesets with an torch
    3. I REALLY like using a automatic helmet
    4. I should have worn a long sleeve shirt
    5. I need to get a welder

Anyway, pictures follow:
    Frame:
    Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0033-custom-jpg Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0030-custom-jpg Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0029-custom-jpg Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-img_1721-custom-jpg Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-img_1720-custom-jpg

Hitch area. We put a piece of 2x2 square stock into the tongue, then welded 2 pieces of flat stock to it to form the tongue:
    Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0032-custom-jpg Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0031-custom-jpg

Suspension to frame weld that was especially pretty:
    Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0028-custom-jpg

The front of the frame while we were getting ready to tack it together:
    Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-imag0025-custom-jpg

We did a butt weld to join 2 leftover pieces of the C channel and make a 3rd cross member to sit the end of the tongue on:
    Trailer build, my first real MIG welds-img_1722-custom-jpg

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

Default Re: Trailer build, my first real MIG welds

Do you know what gas you were running? I assume it was co2. Trailer looks pretty good!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Nice job regarding your first effort.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    Do you know what gas you were running? I assume it was co2. Trailer looks pretty good!
    I am not sure. It was a full height cylinder, but I didn't see the label.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

Just a suggestion. Where the two pieces of flatbar are welded to the box tube for the tongue. Take another piece of flatbar, weld the end in the center of the box tube on top of the flatbar with the hole in it, heat, and wrap the flatbar all the way around the box tube. Cut the flatbar where it will have a small gap, and weld the two ends together.

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

2 Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200ST.
    3 Lincoln SA-200s.
    Vantage 400
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Tractor
    53' Allis WD, 54' Allis WD 45, 52' allis CA, Farmall 560, 656 , 47' Deere model A , 38' Deere model A

That would tell you wether to drag or push your weld puddle. CO2 would work better in the drag position. 75/25 works best pushing the puddle.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bday View Post
    That would tell you wether to drag or push your weld puddle. CO2 would work better in the drag position. 75/25 works best pushing the puddle.
    Hmmm, I tried pushing (when welding the flatbar onto the tounge) and had lots of splatter/pop which went away when I switched to pulling...

Quote Originally Posted by Shield Arc View Post
    Just a suggestion. Where the two pieces of flatbar are welded to the box tube for the tongue. Take another piece of flatbar, weld the end in the center of the box tube on top of the flatbar with the hole in it, heat, and wrap the flatbar all the way around the box tube. Cut the flatbar where it will have a small gap, and weld the two ends together.
    Good idea. I will look into doing that.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Aaron Z

Super Star Member
    Tractor

I must say, if I were to do today over again, I would probbaly have put sunblock on my face, neck and arms in addition to wearing a long sleeve shirt that had the correct length sleeves (ie: long enough to cover my wrists). I feel like I spent too much time in the sun today...

Aaron Z

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Shield Arc View Post
    Also, I dont know if you can see in the pictures, but I ran a bead around all for sides of both flatbars, so it has a little extra support where it will have the most weight.

Aaron Z

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    I must say, if I were to do today over again, I would probbaly have put sunblock on my face, neck and arms in addition to wearing a long sleeve shirt that had the correct length sleeves (ie: long enough to cover my wrists). I feel like I spent too much time in the sun today...

Aaron Z
    Welcome to welding!!!! Can't recall how many times My face has peeled. What really hurts is when your eye lids get flash burn from tacking. Oh Man!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast