HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video)

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodmorning, everyone!! :)

So, this is my latest major addition to the shop, a nice new MIG 2400 from our friends at HTP America...

I knew they were sending it out, and I stayed in close contact with Jeff, the president of HTP who gave me updates on the whole shipment... Although I've never had a problem with anything from HTP, I feel the need to comment on their customer service because, well, it seems to be something they're known for... Those guys move FAST, I've never waited more than a few hours (Except overnight, of course) to hear back from anyone at the company...

Anyway, I got word that the entire skid was sitting at the UPS freight depot in Dayton, Ohio, and so one cold morning, I fired up the silverado and drove off to pick it up... It was a breezy, cold day, with the wind chill hovering around -15...

I made it to the depot... I had my doubts about this, because I was driving through the middle of no where... When I gave Siri, the voice on my iPhone the address, she said something along the lines of "I think this is what you mean, but I'm not sure"...

But sure enough, I came around a bend in the road, and saw dozens of UPS trucks and a red brick building... I wandered inside, signed some papers, and then watched as a friendly forklift driver set a nicely packaged skid in the bed of my truck...

I removed a couple "stickies" that looked like they might blow off on the interstate, put a strap around everything in case I had to slam on the brakes, and drove home, ready to play with this machine...

Once I was back at the farm, I took a nice look at everything... There were two boxes, and the paperwork from UPS said everything weighted a little over 400 pounds... Everything was wrapped up very well, there were two heavy-duty plastic straps holding the solid looking boxes to the new skid, with everything wrapped up snug in multiple layers of shrink wrap...

I cut the plastic away, and removed all the wire and mig parts, and everything else they sent out, except the welder itself... I got a new helmet (which I'll make a future video about), and a few other things as well...

Once I was down to the welder, I simply man-handled it to the ground, and opened up the box.

Wow, this thing is gorgeous!

At first, I didn't know what to think of the appearance of this machine... It looks boxy, and small... It would have the same silhouette as one of those welders from Hazard Fraught, which was my initial concern... It didn't have the "cool" lines of a Miller or a Lincoln, but as I looked closer, it became very apparent that this is NOT a cheaply made machine like the other "boxy" looking ones I'd seen... I know, strange how I associate a shape with quality, maybe thats just me...

After I looked over the heavy-duty cabinet with beautiful red finish (which I believe is powder-coated... if not, its VERY tough paint), I played with the knobs and dials on the face of the unit...

They're nice... They're all very large and can thus be adjusted with heavy gloves on, and everything is "tight" and "firm" like it should be... The controls are very well labeled, and even me, with my ZERO formal mig welding education, and limited use mostly with my Hobart 187 (a simple machine to understand, and a great machine, I just out-grew mine), could understand everything they do.

One of the first things I noticed about the face, is it has TWO voltage switches... This machine has 24 taps, which is awesome... You've got Four main voltage "ranges", and then you can fine tune each range with 6 sub-settings... Wow, thats sweet. I REALLY didnt want another tapped voltage machine, but because this one is so adjustable, it's all good. Im a mig noob, I can weld and say to myself "this needs more voltage... But... Does it need two more volts? Or four? I dunno..."

It's a lot easier for me to say to myself "Yup, she needs another notch... *click*, thats better", and there are so many "notches", that you can fine tune the machine very accurately.

I wasted no time getting this machine setup, partly because I really wanted to play with it, and partly because I'd freeze if I stopped moving...

Anyway, what are my first impressions with the unit? Behold, my list:

IMG_2814_zps4025f1e2.jpg

Overall appearance... Although I didnt really like the "box" shape at first, it grew on me, and fast. Its a beautiful machine, it looks clean and solid just sitting there:

IMG_2808_zps35a5e708.jpg

GROUND-CLAMP if DOOM... It makes other ground clamps cry :cool2:

Okay, maybe its just a quirk of mine, but one of my pet peeves is getting cheezy ground clamps on.. well, anything... "Really? I spent $XXXX on this machine, and you guys were too cheap to spend another $3 making a better clamp?"

Not the case with this machine, as you can see...

IMG_2806_zps90566ce0.jpg

Wirefeed System of Awesomeness... Although I admit I haven't actually tried, I'm pretty sure one could feed other machines drive systems... Through this drive system...

IMG_2793_zpsb82a1d20.jpg

Long-azz power cord... as in, really long. Actually, it's the longest cord in my shop right now, which gives the welder excellent "range"... And I'd like to point out two things about this cord as well:

1. Notice the texture of the cord... Its not that cheap plasticky stuff, thats legit rubber.
2. Notice the poorly assembled plug... Thats right, you don't get a plug with this machine... Not a big deal, partly because the ends of the bare wire come with "solid ends"... Like they've been crimped or something... They're not loose strands of copper, they're ready to be installed in the plug. Just keep in mind, if you get one of these machines, you'll also have to pick up your own plug.

IMG_2801_zps10fe0563.jpg

"Stitch Mode"... Or "Pulse Mode", or whatever the technical term is... With a little practice, even a noob like myself can make welds like this:

IMG_2819_zps764c9d66.jpg

Which will be BEAST on thin material, or welds with purely visual value, instead of structural value...

The gun... I don't have an actual picture of this (but its in the video), however i LOVE it.

It's made of heavy-duty blue plastic, which has a 5 star fit and finish, and has a gorgeous neck and nozzle made of chrome, you can see yourself (distorted as you look, from these parts being round) in it... At first I was concerned about it collecting spatter, but a $10 tub of nozzle dip put those worries to rest. How does the trigger feel? Absolutely flawless, HTP hit that nail right on the head. Its sensitive and easy to operate, excellent feel to it.

IMG_2802_zps94eeb5da.jpg

Simple polarity switching capability... Just pop those plus out, let them play musical chairs, and your polarity is reversed...

Now, I'll take a moment to talk about the origin of this machine... It's "Assembled in Hungary under license from HTP America" as the box says, and its made, atleast partly of Chinese parts. The dual (and loud, not annoying loud, but they MOVE AIR) fans on the back of the machine have "made in China" on them, and those polarity plugs appear identical to the ones that came on my Longevity StickWeld 250, so I'd say the plugs are chinese as well. They are however, standard DINSE plugs and the leads interchange with my Precision Tig 225 and aforementioned StickWeld.. Y'all have NO IDEA how hard it is for me to resist putting a stick lead in that positive terminal, just to see what happens :)

Okay, so thats what a love about this machine... But, what do I not like... Not much, honestly. Here are a couple "complaints":

IMG_2804_zpsfe16833f.jpg

The spool holder, yes, it handles 30 pound spools without issue (as you can see), but if you look closely, its just plastic... In fact, I was worried about cross-threading it the first time I put a spool in there... Its not bad, and its defiantly adequate, but its not on par quality wise with the rest of the machine....

The door itself lifts off the machine, as in, it physically comes off... Instead of being hinged like it is on other machines. Not a big deal tho, as it installs easily (just line up the two "pins" in the bottom, and I'm actually starting to like this, because you can remove it in tight spaces, as opposed to a hinged door that needs 18" of side clearance to open fully. Again, this is in the video itself.

Speaking of the video, here it is. I really hope you guys like it :)

Anyway, to sum it up, "Wow, that an absolutely excellent machine". I honestly love this thing... I love it for its power and duty cycle, it can keep up with me on my projects... I love it for how easy it is to adjust, and simple it is to setup... I love the fit and finish, the superb gun, the ground-clamp of doom, the industrial-strength wire drive setup, even the little flow-meter that came with it gets 5 stars...

I've had a few other things from HTP, which I've never been disappointed with, and this is no different. I even had it in spray arc the other day, first time I've ever done that...

Its an awesome machine... In all honestly, the last time I was this impressed with a machine, it was my Hypertherm 45... This machine is a masterpiece, and in my opinion, HTP is the best kept secret in welding... They're the little company that can give the big three a run for their money.

I really like it, and yes, it'll go through a torture test and receive a full review after I've put a few spools of wire through it, and had it for a while...

Although I don't really like to give details, I try to be totally transparant with you guys about how I get these things... I want you to know the truth about it, so you feel like you're getting the full story. This was a free machine for me to demo... And keep. The deal was I'd put it in my videos, and HTP would get dirt cheap advertising... But, I keep it whether it gets a good review or a bad one... I like to give good reviews, I really do, but I've made bad reviews about free units in the past, and I'd do it again any day of the week... I already have the welder, I have no reason to give it a good or a bad review, other than to tell it like it is... So no, I'm not trying to be a braggart, just trying to be transparant.

There, I'm pretty sure that's everything for now...

Until next time, thanks for reading, thanks for watching, and I'll have more for y'all here soon :)

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #2  
WOW! That looks like a really nice Mig machine. I love that 4-drive roll system, just can't believe my Lincoln didn't come with it.:confused3: I have the same attitude as you do about ground clamps!

Oh just so you know, it bugs the crap out of me that you get free equipment!;):D

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #3  
In my Review of my Longevity 200S mig welder , I noted that I was using a left over roll of H.F. flux core wire , and well , Lets just say I know " Why " I had took it out of my little Lincoln long before it was empty .

Have seen HTP for quite some time , was looking at their MTS unit some years back and always though highly of them even without a purchase . Was directed to their website for mig wire after telling my brother about my issue's with the H.F. wire . He has used their wire for some time now . Ordered last weekend , 2 10# rolls of .035 for a whopping $74.90 with free shipping . Came thursday , installed and tried out a roll this morning . Holy Cr** , What a difference Wire makes from one brand to the next in same machine with same settings on same metal . Now I know what Shield Arc and others are talking about when running different brands of rods on same machine with same settings but different results .

Pretty Sure you will be very happy with your new welder , as I am very Pleased with their wire and not to mention their Customer Service .

Fred H.

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #4  
I've had my 2400 for a couple of years and it has done everything I asked it to with perfection. The only issue I originally had was that the wire speed was off. I spoke to Jeff and he told me which pot to adjust on the main circuit board. A 10 second adjustment and it was perfect!

I also have one of his TIG's and I am pleased with it also. Finally, they sell great wire at a good price.

2400.jpg

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #5  
Shield Arc Do you think he will be getting a pole barn shop from some manufacture in the future for evaluation ???????

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #6  
Shield Arc Do you think he will be getting a pole barn shop from some manufacture in the future for evaluation ???????
I hope so! Poor kid is running out of room rapidly:(. Maybe we can get him on that hoarders TV show, and they'll build him a great big shop!:thumbsup:

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #7  
Lanse,

Congrats on the new machine and a good review!

Not to be the safety police but; try and not have your hood/head in the fume plum when welding. I've seen you wear a respirator when plasma cutting.

Thing is with the mix of welding fume/argon/CO2 mix it can and will affect your health.

Best of luck with your new machine

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #8  
Lanse,

Not to be the safety police but; try and not have your hood/head in the fume plum when welding. I've seen you wear a respirator when plasma cutting.

Thing is with the mix of welding fume/argon/CO2 mix it can and will affect your health.

I believe he actually got a fume extractor for evaluation, as well!!
[ yes, I'm jealous, too]

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video) #9  
Ifin you peeps want to see a cheep ground clamp, check out the Hobart
Handler 210.
It looks like a battery charger clamp.

/ HTP Mig 2400 Unboxing and First Impressions (Pics + Video)
WOW! That looks like a really nice Mig machine. I love that 4-drive roll system, just can't believe my Lincoln didn't come with it.:confused3: I have the same attitude as you do about ground clamps!

Oh just so you know, it bugs the crap out of me that you get free equipment!;):D

Thanks man!! I've never had a 4-driver before, actually I dont think I've ever so much as run one... But this thing has TORQUE, theres zero hesitation behind pushing that wire...

lol, I love my "job", and I do my best to use all this gear to educate the peoples of the internet about welding... Or atleast, share what I know about it :cool:

In my Review of my Longevity 200S mig welder , I noted that I was using a left over roll of H.F. flux core wire , and well , Lets just say I know " Why " I had took it out of my little Lincoln long before it was empty .

Have seen HTP for quite some time , was looking at their MTS unit some years back and always though highly of them even without a purchase . Was directed to their website for mig wire after telling my brother about my issue's with the H.F. wire . He has used their wire for some time now . Ordered last weekend , 2 10# rolls of .035 for a whopping $74.90 with free shipping . Came thursday , installed and tried out a roll this morning . Holy Cr** , What a difference Wire makes from one brand to the next in same machine with same settings on same metal . Now I know what Shield Arc and others are talking about when running different brands of rods on same machine with same settings but different results .

Pretty Sure you will be very happy with your new welder , as I am very Pleased with their wire and not to mention their Customer Service .

Fred H.

Yeah, there's nothin worse than bad wire...

I've been thinking about doing a flux-core comparison now for a long time. Guess I might have to, now ;)

Thanks for watching!! Yes, HTP is a completely awesome company... I'd have no problems buying anything from them... Glad you're enjoying your 200 :)

I've had my 2400 for a couple of years and it has done everything I asked it to with perfection. The only issue I originally had was that the wire speed was off. I spoke to Jeff and he told me which pot to adjust on the main circuit board. A 10 second adjustment and it was perfect!

I also have one of his TIG's and I am pleased with it also. Finally, they sell great wire at a good price.

View attachment 302733

Wow, thats awesome man. I really think the 2400 could make HTP a household machine... Thanks for watching :)

Haha, I kinda hope so, things are getting pretty crowded in here. I've gotta wrap up a few projects, and make some room :D

Lanse,

Thanks for the concern, and yes, you're 100% right... I just got a fume extractor which will help with that, but getting right there in the smoke, is a bad habit that I need to kick...

Thanks man :)

Ifin you peeps want to see a cheep ground clamp, check out the Hobart
Handler 210.
It looks like a battery charger clamp.

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about... Both my Hobart Stickmate AC/DC and Handler 187 had the worst ground clamps in the shop on them... They're still fine units however...