Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP)

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodmorning everybody!!

So, here's my latest video...

Ever since I got my first mig welder (Lincoln Weld-Pak 100), I'd wondered who makes the best mig wire, and I'd had a number of people request a video talking about the different brands...

I've run plenty of spools of Hobart wire from TSC, and a few of Lincoln's L-56 SuperArc, and a small amount of HTP wire, and after doing a few stick electrode comparisons, I decided that an all out MIG wire smackdown was in order.

I bought a spool of L56 from Lowe's, got a half-used spool of Hobart from one of my welders, and got our friends at HTP to supply a spool of their own wire...

The only thing left to do, was run the test.

I found some scrap mild-steel plate, cut out a stack of 2x6 coupons, and hesitated... I know that if I was going "by the book", I should knock off the millscale, remove all the light rust and grind off the dross and plasma dust, but I decided not too...

To be honest, I rarely if ever take all those steps MIG welding, and I wanted this test to be as realistic as possible...

So, "Contamination Resistance" would be part of the comparison, as would:

"Cost Per Pound"

"Run Time" (how well the wire ran, taking into account how it fed, arc quality, etc)

"Spatter"

and of course, a good ole' fashioned break test...

How'd it go, you ask? Well, the video can tell it better than I can:

But a brief summary...

ALL three wires ran beautifully... They all fed flawlessly, had very nice arc quality, and produced little spatter. The Lincoln took the lead there, producing the smallest amount of spatter, and the HTP placed with a strong cost advantage... The Hobart was a very good wire, although it placed "average" in my test because it didn't have any outstanding characteristics about it...

It was a really fun video to make... And I've got a lot more planned, if y'all like this... I really want to get my hands on a few different varieties of 7018, and do a flux-core smackdown, as well... That'll probably be my next one, any suggestions of wire types to try out? Im planning on Hobart Fabshield and Lincoln NR-211 for starters...

Anyway, I really hope y'all enjoy the video, and have an awesome week, Yeeeeehaw! :waving:

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #2  
Thanks for your effort and posting the video of how you went about testing these various brands of wire.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #3  
I haven't watch the video yet, but I have tried a few wires and like the Lincoln L56 wire best for the reduced spatter and arc quality.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #4  
You know just for ****** and giggles try HFT (harbor freight tool) wire that would be interesting to see.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #5  
I never used the harbor freight stuff since Hobart or Lincoln is about the same price, or cheaper when Tractor Supply has the Hobart on sale.
Tom

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #6  
Oh I was curious as to what their wire was like I really don't know what the price comparison was.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #7  
You should (if budget allows) try some more accessible "generic" brands like inweld or techniweld which offer good local availability in many areas at economical prices. National Standard is a huge supplier of wire as well. ESAB produces a lot of wire for the industry. It's what I use...the Aristorod 12.5 ok (70S-6). Blows the doors off the other stuff.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #8  
I always use the Lincoln since it's the easiest to get in 44lb rolls. Not sure if it make a difference but I've always got the steel spools.

/ Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP) #9  
Love your Vid's. It looks like a properly done MIG weld is not just stout, it is really stout. I was getting tired just watching him beat and pry on those coupons. Whew.

James K0UA