Silver Member

Default Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP)

Goodmorning everybody!!

So, here's my latest video...

Ever since I got my first mig welder (Lincoln Weld-Pak 100), I'd wondered who makes the best mig wire, and I'd had a number of people request a video talking about the different brands...

I've run plenty of spools of Hobart wire from TSC, and a few of Lincoln's L-56 SuperArc, and a small amount of HTP wire, and after doing a few stick electrode comparisons, I decided that an all out MIG wire smackdown was in order.

I bought a spool of L56 from Lowe's, got a half-used spool of Hobart from one of my welders, and got our friends at HTP to supply a spool of their own wire...

The only thing left to do, was run the test.

I found some scrap mild-steel plate, cut out a stack of 2x6 coupons, and hesitated... I know that if I was going "by the book", I should knock off the millscale, remove all the light rust and grind off the dross and plasma dust, but I decided not too...

To be honest, I rarely if ever take all those steps MIG welding, and I wanted this test to be as realistic as possible...

So, "Contamination Resistance" would be part of the comparison, as would:

"Cost Per Pound"

"Run Time" (how well the wire ran, taking into account how it fed, arc quality, etc)

"Spatter"

and of course, a good ole' fashioned break test...

How'd it go, you ask? Well, the video can tell it better than I can:

But a brief summary...

ALL three wires ran beautifully... They all fed flawlessly, had very nice arc quality, and produced little spatter. The Lincoln took the lead there, producing the smallest amount of spatter, and the HTP placed with a strong cost advantage... The Hobart was a very good wire, although it placed "average" in my test because it didn't have any outstanding characteristics about it...

It was a really fun video to make... And I've got a lot more planned, if y'all like this... I really want to get my hands on a few different varieties of 7018, and do a flux-core smackdown, as well... That'll probably be my next one, any suggestions of wire types to try out? Im planning on Hobart Fabshield and Lincoln NR-211 for starters...

Anyway, I really hope y'all enjoy the video, and have an awesome week, Yeeeeehaw! :waving:

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

Default Re: Stretch's MIG-wire Smackdown Comparison (Hobart VS Lincoln VS HTP)

Thanks for your effort and posting the video of how you went about testing these various brands of wire.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

I haven't watch the video yet, but I have tried a few wires and like the Lincoln L56 wire best for the reduced spatter and arc quality.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

You know just for ****** and giggles try HFT (harbor freight tool) wire that would be interesting to see.
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

I never used the harbor freight stuff since Hobart or Lincoln is about the same price, or cheaper when Tractor Supply has the Hobart on sale.
    Tom

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

Oh I was curious as to what their wire was like I really don't know what the price comparison was.
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

You should (if budget allows) try some more accessible "generic" brands like inweld or techniweld which offer good local availability in many areas at economical prices. National Standard is a huge supplier of wire as well. ESAB produces a lot of wire for the industry. It's what I use...the Aristorod 12.5 ok (70S-6). Blows the doors off the other stuff.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

I always use the Lincoln since it's the easiest to get in 44lb rolls. Not sure if it make a difference but I've always got the steel spools.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Love your Vid's. It looks like a properly done MIG weld is not just stout, it is really stout. I was getting tired just watching him beat and pry on those coupons. Whew.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN