Copper Tig welding.

/ Copper Tig welding. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
This subject comes up every once in awhile, and I've never seen it done. So I thought I'd give it a try. Took four hundred forevers to get the filler rod from weldingsupply.com!:mad: Back ordered, and all:rolleyes:.
Started on some 1/8" x 1" flatbar. Did some corner joints, lap joint, and a fillet weld. Used 3/32-inch Ceriated tungsten, at 150-amps, with 100 % pure argon. Took a little bit to get enough heat built up to form a puddle. But didn't take to long until I was backing out of the pedal. In some ways it reminds me of welding aluminum, except the puddle looks dirty. I used a brand new steel wire wheel on a 4-inch hand grinder to clean the base metal before welding. After welding I tried a new Scotch-Brite pad, but wasn't very successful, so I used a new stainless steel hand brush. I learned if I let everything cool to the touch, the black cleaned off easier. Soon as I lifted my hood after welding, every piece was glowing red hot!
I tried a couple welds on 1/4-inch material, it took all 300-amps to weld the 1/4-inch!
Kind of fun to do, learned something new today!:cool:

Attachments

• C corner black.JPG
    C corner black.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 484
  • C corner brush2.JPG
    C corner brush2.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 479
  • C fillet.JPG
    C fillet.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,406
  • C lap.JPG
    C lap.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • CID.JPG
    CID.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 301
   / Copper Tig welding. #2  
Nice looking welds...now go get a job maintaining the Statue of Liberty. :)

I have enough issues with aluminum although have produced some nice looking welds on it. I'll bet that copper plate was costly!

/ Copper Tig welding. #3  
Just out of curiosity, do you think that you could use the solid wire out of Romex for a small job or one time use if the need ever arose?

/ Copper Tig welding.
now go get a job maintaining the Statue of Liberty. :) I'll bet that copper plate was costly!
JOB?! That's the last thing I want.:laughing: That flatbar was $8.00 a foot.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that you could use the solid wire out of Romex for a small job or one time use if the need ever arose?
I've read on some welding forums where people have had good success with like 12-GA Romex wire.

/ Copper Tig welding. #5  
JOB?! That's the last thing I want.:laughing: That flatbar was $8.00 a foot.

I've read on some welding forums where people have had good success with like 12-GA Romex wire.

Shield you desribed it perfect bud, very similar to aluminum. Heres my filler wire, works perfect and blends and polishes great!

ForumRunner_20130212_182017.png

ForumRunner_20130212_182056.png

/ Copper Tig welding. #6  
If it took 150 amps for 1/8in and 300amps for 1/4, does than mean I can do 1/16 with 75amps. Yes this is a real question.

/ Copper Tig welding.
Sounds reasonable to me. But I would think copper is a bigger heat sink than aluminum, so the bigger the item being welded the more heat you'll need.

/ Copper Tig welding. #8  
That thin 28 gauge I just showed was welded if I remember correct at 90amps. Yowza, it was paper!

/ Copper Tig welding. #9  
Did you have it clamped in that huge heat sink vise when you welded it? or maybe I am not understanding something correctly.

/ Copper Tig welding.
Did you have it clamped in that huge heat sink vise when you welded it? or maybe I am not understanding something correctly.
No I didn't,:confused: but I only have two hands. One to hold the Tig torch, the other to hold the filler rod. So the vice comes in real handy to hold things for me.:confused: