Welder options????

/ Welder options???? #1  

Fordman1981

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 Gear Ag Tires
Hey guys I am looking at buying a new welder for my 2nd shop. I have just started looking and wanted to see what you guys would suggest. I want an all in one unit MIG/TIG/Stick. I have never done TIG welding before but I am going to be taking community collage classes in March for TIG welding. I have had a small 230v Miller Mig welder for I think somewhere around 10 years now. Sorry I'm not near the welder right now so I can't tell you what model it is. It has been a great welder so Miller is on my short list. I was looking on Millers website today and seen this Multimatic 200 - Multiprocess Welder - Portable Welder - Miller Welding . What do you guys think of this unit is it under powered because of it's portability? I would also like for Longevity and the other welder company that sponsors on here to speak up and tell me what options they have. Thanks for all your responses and opinions in advance.

/ Welder options???? #2  
   / Welder options???? #3  
We have a portable synergic model MTS 250 that welds really nice. It's 250 amps. It has up and downslope features for the TIG, and supports a foot pedal, as well as a spool gun. The unit has a built in solenoid for the TIG so you don't use a gas valve torch. It also has We've had a MTS unit out since 2010...before any of the other companies were willing to get their feet wet with the units here in the US. We also have a MTS 400 which is similar to the XMT Miller 304 series and has a power unit with a separate, portable wire feeder. If you have three phase, it will operate on 480 with an output of 400 amps. It will run on single phase 240 as well, but will be limited to 250 amps output. Its a beast. We sell a good many here for shops, but also alot abroad in the oil fields in foreign countries. It comes with its own cart. We of course have a smaller non synergic 200 amp MTS.

Attachments

• DSCN2282.JPG
    DSCN2282.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 111
  • PowerMTS_400(Front)_2.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC02625.jpg
    DSC02625.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02632.jpg
    DSC02632.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 135
   / Welder options????
Mark,

I would like to hear more if your product. I am looking for a welder I won't outgrow and one that won't break the bank. Like u said I want to be able to mig/tig/ and stick. Can you tell me what thickness materials the units you listed can handle for each if these types on 1 phase. I do not have access to 3 phase so lets rule that out for now.

Thanks.

/ Welder options???? #5  
I guess it depends on what your price range is, and more what you plan on welding. I agree with the Miller XMT, they will do everything you need to do and you can adapt them. I have been having bad luck with Lincoln and am not to happy with them, however their Powermig 350MP is a multi process machine as well and a lower price then the XMT or Invertec. I had a Powermig 216 but I went with a Miller 252 now, but the Powermig was a nice machine.

/ Welder options????
Thanks to everlasting for showing me the products they have to offer. I would still like to hear from longevity.

/ Welder options???? #7  
What's your budget and what are you typically welding? Are you doing this as a business or personal?

/ Welder options????
I will be doing some stuff for my company but mostly personal welding. As far as what do I weld that varies greatly. I have built a battery cradle for getting batteries out of underground hubs. With that project I made a boom pole that quick attached to the forks of my Skid steer. I like to get in the shop and just create new things like making a double hung tailgate for my 1 ton dump. That may not be the correct term for it but it hinges from the bottom like a regular truck or you can pull the bottom hinge pins and hinge it from the top to spread dirt like a full size dump truck. I can't find any pictures of it on this computer but next time I'm out at the farm I'll take some pics of the tailgate in use. I want to be able to weld 1/2" inch though I don't usefully weld that thick. I want to be able to weld aluminum mostly because I have several projects I want to build out of aluminum. I do like the portability of the Multimatic 200 - Multiprocess Welder - Portable Welder - Miller Welding but I'm also worried it may be under powered being it can run on 110 or 230 and is so small. Like I said thanks for all your opinions I welcome them all.

/ Welder options???? #9  
Do you plan on Tig welding or Mig welding the aluminum projects? What thickness of aluminum? Generally Tig welding aluminum requires AC, but you can old school it with DC. Aluminum eats amps like they're candy.:D

Check out this calculator.

Miller - Welding Calculators

/ Welder options????
Do you plan on Tig welding or Mig welding the aluminum projects? What thickness of aluminum? Generally Tig welding aluminum requires AC, but you can old school it with DC. Aluminum eats amps like they're candy.:D

Check out this calculator.

Miller - Welding Calculators

Well like I said I haven't done Tig before I'm taking a class on it next month. I figure I won't weld aluminum any thicker than 1/4". Isn't tig better for welding aluminum than mig?