Mig welder- bleed the gas or not

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #1  

bikerdib

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Well, congratulate me, after 35+ years of stick welding at work (used to be an iron worker) and my home shop I finally broke down and went over to the dark side; i bought a Hobart 210MVP. My question is do I need to bleed the gas from the system if I won't be using the welder for several days?

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #2  
It's always a good idea to bleed the pressure off, it extends the life of the regulator considerably. Back off the screw if it's a diaphragm type as well; you have to set the pressure again but it's easier on the equipment.

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not
OK, will do. I'd like to make the machine last as long as possible. But from what you are saying, it mainly helps the regulator?

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #4  
I always do...and I set the pressure with the trigger pulled but the tension off of the wire feed.

I always do...and I set the pressure with the trigger pulled but the tension off of the wire feed.

That's what I do also. I wish there was a way to relieve the pressure without wasting wire or having to remove the wire tension. I guess I'm just being lazy...

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #6  
We need pictures or it never happened ;)

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #7  
bikerdib said:
I wish there was a way to relieve the pressure without wasting wire or having to remove the wire tension. I guess I'm just being lazy...
Turn the wire speed all the way down.

Turn the wire speed all the way down.

DUH...

It amazes me sometimes how things never occur to me until long term usage. I've been releasing the wire tension but that would make things easier without wasting too much wire.

Thanks.

In fact, any other tips for a new user would be appreciated. Like I said, I have 35+ years of welding experience but the wire feed is a relative new animal to me. Most of my previous experience at work was done in the field and at the home shop I just never took the plunge into wire.

/ Mig welder- bleed the gas or not #9  
when you open the argon tank valve, open it all the way untill it's open 'tight'. It's a double seat valve. The second seat seals against leaks arround the valve stem.

Learn to use either hand to weld.

Remove mill scale, paint, dirt, etc. mig has no flux to deal with that stuff.

Better too hot, than too cold.