How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I seem to recall getting quite a few cuts from the 14" abrasive wheels on my chop saw. I went to HD and bought some Diablo brand wheels and got, literally, one to two cuts per wheel, through 2" square, 1/8" wall, tubing. I figured something must be wrong with the wheels, so I complained and returned them. Then I went to Lowes and bought some DeWalt brand wheels. Same thing. WTF? Surely that can't be right.

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #2  
I guess your ahead using a band saw

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #3  
It sure sounds like something is not right. I use the 14" HF blades. Yesterday I made 4 cuts on 1/4x4" flat bar, 2 cuts in 1/8x2" angle and before that I had made some cuts in 1.5x3x1/8" tubing but can't recall how many. I still have a little bit of blade left. You might give the HF blades a try and compare performance.

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #4  
Really does not sound right. I think mine is 14" and I have made in excess of 20 through 2.5 "x 2.5" x 0.25: sq tubing as well as 10 plus cuts through 3" x 0.25" angle iron and the wheel is not even half gone.

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #5  
I have had issues with hardening steel by starting it and stopping partway. Also are you giving the saw a full 120 volts. ( not too far from source)

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel
I'm pretty sure it's full 120, but it's been a while since I had a meter on the receptacle. Would spinning at low RPMs wear the blades out sooner? I will say that the saw stopped turning recently, and I pulled both brushes out, put them back in, and it went back to working. Maybe the brushes are bad and it's under RPM and wearing out the blades prematurely?

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #7  
I find the blades at the LWS are thinner and last longer. Cost a bit more, but worth it.

I find the blades at the LWS are thinner and last longer. Cost a bit more, but worth it.

I appreciate the feedback, but I think something more dramatic is going on here. I'm getting, literally, 1-2 cuts through 1/8" thick tubing on a wheel. Even if the LWS blade doubled that, it would be far too few.

/ How many cuts from a 14" abrasive wheel #9  
I dont think that the RPM's really have any effect on whats going on. Double check that the blades are for steel cutting and not for masonary or other such materials. Im using Makita brand blades on mine and I get a pretty long life out of them. I also dont force the blades through the material but let them cut at the speed that "Feels" about right. In other words, dont bog the saw down. I think my blades are about 3/32 thick. I have seen some 1/16 blades and I bet they wear pretty fast. Try a different brand and see what happens????????
Steve.
P.S., hows the quick hitch coming along?

P.S., hows the quick hitch coming along?

It's on hold for the time being. My fabrication chops are not quite up to snuff at the moment, and also I have some new ideas about how to approach the project to address some of the problems I was having.