Dayton welder 3Z564 ????

/ Dayton welder 3Z564 ???? #2  
Since Grainger's website says it's no longer available, I assume you are looking at a closeout unit or a used one. Unless the price is too good to pass up; I'd rather apply the money towards a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart where getting parts and service if need be is pretty easy. I have no idea who made this welder for Grainger/Dayton.

/ Dayton welder 3Z564 ????
Some say it is made by Century. I never seen a Century look like that. I had a Miller Thunder bolt. I got a good offer on it and bought a Sear AC DC. It welds better than the Miller. Older one pretty heavy. I think Century made the same welder for Montogmery ward. Most small welders are 235 amp on AC and around 140 0n DC. This one is 250 on AC & DC.

/ Dayton welder 3Z564 ???? #4  
I think someone here told me this one is made by Century too.

Attachments

• Welder 2.jpg
    Welder 2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,189
I think someone here told me this one is made by Century too.

That is exactly like my Sears. They made them for Wards too, I am sure of. I like it better than the Miller Thunderbolt I had

/ Dayton welder 3Z564 ???? #7  
I can't say I've ever run a Miller Thunderbolt, in fact not sure I've ever seen one in person.:confused3:
Yeah that Montgomery Wards welder has a very nice arc, use to do a lot of Tig welding with it too.

Well, I finally had a snow day and went and looked at it. The fellow was asking $200. It is brand new. He bought it a few years back and never used it. I finally got him down to $170. When I got home I took the case apart to just look inside. It looks to be very well made and very heavy copper wound. As a rule most arc welders seem to work for years without brakeing down. I havent had time to do any welding with it yet but if it welds as good as the Sears and as Shield Arc says his Wards does, I will be happy. I use to think a welder was a welder but it seems like some of them will have a smooth arc and others will not. I remember years ago I had a 20th century 180 amp, ac only and it seemed to really weld good for a AC. I wanted a little heaiver welder and run on to a 240amp 20th cenntury and I never could weld a good bead. I know that alot of it is in the guy doing the welding. I had a old Miller a few years ago I think it was around a 300 amp and weighed about 250 lbs. I was welding up some teeth on a backhoe and bulding up the cutting edge on a dozer blade and it was just like spreading butter, it welded so smooth. After I was done with the job, I just didnt need a welder that big (I should have kept it) a fellow come along that was doing alot of heavy welding and he said he burnt 2 or 3 Linclons up, and offered me $100 more than I paid for it. I had a Miller Thunderbolt for awhile. I dont think they put a heavy enough fan in it because after welding a short time it would shut down. Fan never seemed move that much air ( yes I checked the fan) compared to other weldeers I have had.