Arc Welding Stainless Steel

/ Arc Welding Stainless Steel

Sorry about the delayed reply. I had camera probs and a couple of snowstorms... I really do appreciate the help on this board.

The upper left weld is Blue Lightning run at 95A, DC+
The upper right weld is Blue Lightning run at 105A, DC+
The lower left weld is Blue Demon run at 75A, DC+
The lower right weld is Blue Demon run at 85A, DC+

BL recommended range is 60-100A, 1/8th Dia
BD recommended range is 50-70A, 3/32 or 1/8 Dia, can't remember right now
Using a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
The practice plate is a mounting bracket off a step&tow bumper

Attachments

• 100_5335.jpg
    100_5335.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 171
   / Arc Welding Stainless Steel #13  
You can get a nicer bead if you use the 308 LSI or LHS. Both are low carbon high silicon. Some companies use L = low carbon, SI = added silicon. some use L = low carbon HS = high silicon. The higher silicon rods weld very very nice and the slag peels up like a snake skin as you weld. The rod they gave you for dissimilar metals was likely a 312. Sometimes marketed as wonder rod, super millsel weld and others. Ususally expensive but Stoody has it called Versalloy for around $10 #. I remember running some 308LSi 1/16 on some thin wall pipe and it was so nice that I carried it around for years to show people how under rated SS stick rod was. Same with SS wire. huge difference in 308, 308 L and the LHS versions. Then again you need to match the grade with the base metal. There are some good charts on line that you can use. Aluminum charts too.

/ Arc Welding Stainless Steel #15  
Most of my experience is with 308 base metal using the high silicon rods made by Lincoln. DC Neg. The slag is off by the time you get the bead run, weld is fairly flat on one pass on thin material like Schd. 10/20 pipe (most of my experience) Also did some machine bases on heavier material, same good results, no grinding needed.
Ron