MIG Welder Spool Question

/ MIG Welder Spool Question #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
A while back I bought a Harbor Freight 170A MIG welder. Obviously this machine is not industrial grade, but for my limited use it works great. I have been using 2 lb. 30 carbon steel spool and I would like start using a 10 lb. spool instead.
My question is, would a 10 lb. cause unnecessary strain to feeder motor? It seems like it would not but I would like some opinions.
The reason I am asking is that when I was using a 35 2 lb. spool, the motor had hard time feeding the wire when the spool was close to the end. I think from on I'll be using 30 anyway.
Also I was wondering if the Lincoln spindle adapter sold at Home Depot would fit my HF machine.

/ MIG Welder Spool Question #2  
I wouldn't say that a larger spool doesn't pull harder, but I think it's insignificant.

You should only have the tension on the spool set tight enough to keep it from continuing to roll when you let off the trigger. Every time I change spools I start and stop a couple times while watching the spool. I only tighten the tension enough to keep the spool from getting slack wire. If you do that your Welder should run a 10lb spool easily.

Run the largest spool your Welder will allow. You get more wire for your dollar.

/ MIG Welder Spool Question #3  
It could be your liner is rated for .030-.035 and the .035 is a little tight so it binds in the liner. Likely not an issue with spool size if the tension is correctly set up like OVRSZD suggests. Try blowing some compressed air thru the liner in your gun to clean it out as it may have some rust or dirt from the wire that is clogging up the works. Maybe even spray some WD 40 thru it or carb cleaner, then blow it dry. If you have plastic liner make sure the cleaner doesn't soften the plastic. They make steel liners but Teflon liners will feed better, but likely your HF model liner is cheap plastic of some sort.
They make a little felt pad that hangs between the rollers and the liner that cleans and lubricates the wire (if you put the special wire lubrication on it). Highly recommend that you use one of those as it make the liner last longer and feed smoother. The MIG/FCAW wire lubricant should be available at your local welding supply along with the felt pads

/ MIG Welder Spool Question #4  
I wouldn't say that a larger spool doesn't pull harder, but I think it's insignificant.

You should only have the tension on the spool set tight enough to keep it from continuing to roll when you let off the trigger. Every time I change spools I start and stop a couple times while watching the spool. I only tighten the tension enough to keep the spool from getting slack wire. If you do that your Welder should run a 10lb spool easily.

Run the largest spool your Welder will allow. You get more wire for your dollar.

On the money...