Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

/ Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project #1  

ChuckE2009

Silver Member
Goodmorning everyone!!

So, this is my latest mini-project:

e0f4eaf6-c2e6-4fbf-ae1e-aa3f5f00c19c_zpsc6f7cc76.jpg

Recently, I wished I had a way to tack things to the "inside" of my table... Too far from the edges to conventionally clamp them... And this is what I came up with...

I bought a BESSEY 8" C clamp from the local lowes, spark tested it to determine it was malleable iron, and then cut if off and simply 7018'd it to a couple scraps of mild steel plate, which I can tack anywhere I need to...

Anyway, the clamp welded very well... It was my first time welding malleable cast iron, and first time welding dissimilar metals...

And I got another tool for the shop... I'm pretty happy with how it came out :)

Just thought I'd share... I'm probably not the first one to come up with this idea... Hope you guys enjoy the video, and have an awesome weekend everyone :)

/ Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project #2  
If it was me, and I wanted to spark test something like this project. I would grind in the area I was going to discard.:D
I would say a large percentage of the time you use that clamp, you can get away with just tacking the plate to the table on the bottom plate towards the screw. Think about leverage. Do this all the time when using dogs and wedges.

I've had good luck welding dissimilar metals with 309 stainless steel.

/ Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project #3  
I have welded a lot of C-clamps similar to what you have done. I know that they are not cast iron, maybe malleable iron but I rather think the ones I welded on were cast steel. But regardless, they do weld easily with 7018 and hold well. What would be nice is to have one of those super magnets on the bottom that you turn a switch and releases it and vice versa to align the magnets like the millwrights use to attach their dial indicators, that is providing you have a steel table. One of these days I am going to put my plate steel topper on my table like I have been planning for 3 years now.