job smart mig 125

/ job smart mig 125 #1  

jaybud

Tractor
poulan
I have a Job Smart Mig 125 from TSC. I love it but for some reason the wire jerks. Been like this since new. Any ideas on how to stop it?

/ job smart mig 125 #3  
Look at the output sticker of that wire feeder. If it says DC then it is worth fixing. If it says AC then it is not worth fixing really as it is total crap in more ways than your feeding issues. Maybe you can return it.

While there is nothing wrong with an AC output stick welder (since there are rods made that will work on AC output stick welder), there is absolutely NOT any mig or flux core wire made or sold that is suitable for an AC output wire feed welding process. Places like Harbor Freight and other crummy retailers pawn those crappy AC output wire feeders off on people because they are real cheap (usually $90 to $120). Nothing wrong with a cheap wire feeder just make sure it is DC output. There are some decent cheapo wire feeders out there for only a few more dollars, then at least you have a little of something to work with.

If you end up having an AC output and its too late to return for a refund, then there are some home brew conversions done to convert them to DC but you will need to be tech savey to do it. Search on Welding Web for all the fools that have converted their harbor freights wire feeders to DC. Stupid to do this really when for $10-$30 more on initial purchase price someone could have bought a cheapo that was already DC output.

Last edited:
   / job smart mig 125
It welds great but sucks when the wire starts jerking. Throws off bead pattern.

/ job smart mig 125
I used it to make a dump wagon for my lawn tractor and now I'm building a cart to put my mig125 and a cheapo hf stick welder along wit my air compressor and tools to make accessing it a little easier

/ job smart mig 125 #6  
Ive gotten spools of wire with alot of snags in them before. Open the side door and pull the trigger on the gun and watch the spool. The wire could be overlapped and snagging.

/ job smart mig 125 #7  
Mike one time I got a 14-lb roll of Innershield that was so bad I spent about 15-minutes trying to get it straightened out, then just tossed it in the bay! Comes a point where your labor is worth more than the cost of the wire.;)

/ job smart mig 125 #8  
Mike one time I got a 14-lb roll of Innershield that was so bad I spent about 15-minutes trying to get it straightened out, then just tossed it in the bay! Comes a point where your labor is worth more than the cost of the wire.;)

LOL, I worked on two bridges for a long time and couldnt tell you how much stuff went in the drink out of frustration!

/ job smart mig 125 #9  
In my line of work, if a chainsaw didn't start with in 7 or 8 pulls, in the water it went! If an outboard didn't start within 10 or 12 pulls, in the water it went! I never did this, but seen it done numerous times.:shocked:

/ job smart mig 125 #10  
I hear ya bud, im a very big conservationist and grew up fishing, I used to get steamed watching these episodes, but construction workers could be very un ruley ;)