Welding benches

/ Welding benches #61  
welder table from Northern Tool + Equipment

the spec on this shows a max thickness of 2 mills. Like a garbage bag...

I'd say Northern's web-wienies screwed up on the thickness. It's probably 12GA sheet metal at best.

Now that VG has gone to china, its Grip on locking pliers for me now, I wont buy another from Stronghand when I can get Grip Ons for the same cost. GRIP-ON TOOLS: THE LARGEST RANGE OF LOCKING TOOLS WORLDWIDE Grip-on is also the OEM for Snap-on's locking pliers if they arent available in local stores. Snap-on Tools

I never heard of Grip-On until today. Thanks for the link to their website.

/ Welding benches
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers
I'm headed to HF today to check out their wood workbench, to see if it's heavy enough for me to put a
large vise on it. Expect I would have to reinforce it a bit to stand up to some friendly beatings.
I like the idea of the open center to vacuum under, but wonder if connecting those two uprights one more time at the very
bottom would help with sway. Also thought that enlarging the "feet" could help. And maybe once I turn on my new welder, perhaps
some reinforcing with steel welded and bolted would be just the trick. Actually if I could find a steel top for it, now that would be slick.
Just go right over the thick wood top and bolt it down.

Which brings up a few questions for me. If I do put steel on top of basically a wood butcherblock, what is the best way of attaching it while preserving a smooth surface above? Secondly, what size "shoes" should I put on these wood feet? Increasing front to rear size will certainly help
stability, but left to right, maybe not much other than strength. I just look at the picture of this bench and my eye immediately goes to suspiciously sized legs. In this case, I like my legs fat...:D

/ Welding benches #63  
The NT table is probably about 2 mil. It's definitely not 12 gauge. It's about the thickness of store shelving material...but it's reinforced underneath. It's surprisingly stable and a decent beginners table. Not spectacular as I said, but it would definitely get most guys off the ground and welding and would always be something to fall back on later when other tables were full of projects. Watching the video of the cheap(er) strong hand table on the NT site, I saw it flex when a light weight was put on it. I don't think the NT table would do this with a similar load.

/ Welding benches #64  
what is the best way of attaching it while preserving a smooth surface above?
You could always place the metal top on the wooden work bench, drill holes through both. Cut the heads off some bolts, insert the headless bolts in the holes where the body of the bolt is just below the top surface. Tack the bolts, remove the metal plate, and plug weld the holes and headless bolts. Grind the plug welds flush with the surface.

/ Welding benches
Thanks Shield Arc. Please confirm what a plug weld is. Fill up the hole with rod metal?

My trip to HF was very disappointing. That wood bench is a fake! The whole reason I was interested in it was that it looked like a thick wooden top. It's not...The end pieces are like fascia board, and the main top board is less than an inch thick, either composite or plywood. No two inches thick or more for sure. Annoying, since it really is deceptive. And with one finger I could wobble the table from left to right ,granted it had been abused. Frankly it looked more show than go.

Back to my idea of building the strong one, but now I'm on the hunt for used tables too, either thick wood or metal, and since I'm not interested in a thin food service style metal table, a heavy thick wood table that I can mount a slab of steel on top of seems to be a good "first table" inexpensive solution.

Last edited:
   / Welding benches

like filling up a sturdy mashed potato with some even sturdier gravy :eek:
ok, that makes sense to me.
But I got stumped at this; could you translate? Wasn't sure what I was looking at in the picture heat marks.

The heat marks indicate the weld has arced against the back sheet rather than at the side of the hole.
If you don't get these marks then consider a little seam welding just to be sure.

I ordered a second welding training manual, the first one never showed but my local librarian is tracking it down.
Maybe I'll ask a few less elementary questions when I finish reading it.
But I picked up my first rods today, and I'd like to get a little more reading under my belt. Besides the farm is a muddy mess so
I have some study time remaining.

/ Welding benches
Vintage Work Bench

this is all I could find locally and it's pretty slim pickings. Since we are in a colonial area,
there were two listings for really old work benches, valued in thousands, not hundreds.
I need something to pound on, not be afraid of damaging. Now the portable welding table, that of course performs
its function, which does not include getting hammered on. A reasonable division of duties it seems.
I'm going to try to branch out geographically in CL and see how that works in my fishing expedition for someone else's
treasure that just has to go.

/ Welding benches #69  
But I got stumped at this; could you translate? Wasn't sure what I was looking at in the picture heat marks.

The heat marks indicate the weld has arced against the back sheet rather than at the side of the hole.
If you don't get these marks then consider a little seam welding just to be sure.
They just want almost 100% penetration is all. Want to see the back side metal is almost burned through.

/ Welding benches #70  
Daugen, here's an easy to make bench I did a while back - a guy gave me the door, it had a doggy door in the bottom and they didn't want it anymore. I whacked off the bottom, took a scrap 2x6, ripped it to slightly wider than the door thickness, ripped 1/2" slabs off of that, and edged the raw particle board (from cutting the door down) -

I built a "bridge" with shelves, doors, for the back last week but that's another story.

Anyway, the bench could be made pretty fast if you have/can find an old solid core, slab-type door.

The drawing says it all... Steve

Attachments

• OutdoorBench.JPG
    OutdoorBench.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 389