Welding benches

/ Welding benches #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
as an utter newbie, I need some help here. I see lots of nice welding tables, some pretty lightweight looking, with the grates in the middle.
Do I really need one of these things? Should a welding cart always roll in order to get it outside on a nice day? Just stick welding to start.

Another challenge I have is I need a new very heavy duty workbench. I have a big vice to mount on it, an old one that proudly has USA on the side, but
I don't have a table strong enough to really whale on when needed. I see the HF one, it looks too lightweight for me.
Wondering if I'm better off just making one with two by fours on their sides. I'm a decent woodworker, not great for sure, but I don't want the silly thing
to wobble on me. I have a fair bench in my basement shop, but I am NOT stupid enough to weld in my basement....particularly in a wood shop full of combustibles.

I've been looking on Craigslist; this would be perfect to find used. Do I need an all metal bench, or should I cover the wood with a top layer of metal?
I'm looking for function, not form here.

Can you guys show me some pics of your benches? Thanks. Drew

/ Welding benches #2  

Attachments

• Weld table.jpg
    Weld table.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 714
  • work bench 2.jpg
    work bench 2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 528
   / Welding benches #4  
IMG_1184.JPGIMG_1183.JPG
as an utter newbie, I need some help here. I see lots of nice welding tables, some pretty lightweight looking, with the grates in the middle.
Do I really need one of these things? Should a welding cart always roll in order to get it outside on a nice day? Just stick welding to start.

Another challenge I have is I need a new very heavy duty workbench. I have a big vice to mount on it, an old one that proudly has USA on the side, but
I don't have a table strong enough to really whale on when needed. I see the HF one, it looks too lightweight for me.
Wondering if I'm better off just making one with two by fours on their sides. I'm a decent woodworker, not great for sure, but I don't want the silly thing
to wobble on me. I have a fair bench in my basement shop, but I am NOT stupid enough to weld in my basement....particularly in a wood shop full of combustibles.

I've been looking on Craigslist; this would be perfect to find used. Do I need an all metal bench, or should I cover the wood with a top layer of metal?
I'm looking for function, not form here.

Can you guys show me some pics of your benches? Thanks. Drew
A metal bench is best for welding, but not a necessity for a work table. I found a nice heavy table at a business going belly up and I think I paid less than $50 for a 36 x 54 table made from 1.5" particle board with formica covering. It has steel legs holding it up with a good set of rollers to move it around, very very heavy for a wooden table. To protect the formica top, I put a piece of 1/2" plywood on top and then where I mounted my vice, I put another layer of 1/2" plywood. I have cut metal and dropped slag on it, burned it a bit but it still functions as a good work table and welding table. It does make me always hook my ground to the piece I am welding which isn't a bad thing. I don't weld outside but do roll my table around to get it out of the way or reposition it closer to the door so the smoke doesn't accumulate in the shop. That table is so heavy that I couldn't move it on anything other than concrete

/ Welding benches #5  
I made mine with 2x2 tubing and a piece of 3/8 inch plate for the top. I would have gone thicker on the top, at least 1/2 inch, but got the 3/8 inch plate for free. I also made side panels for it to keep grinding dust and sparks from flying everywhere.IMG_2640.jpg

As for the regular work bench, I built mine with 4x4 legs and 2x6's for the side framing and top. Have been very happy with it and it's heavy enough to not move around.

/ Welding benches #6  
Runner- nice looking bench for projects! I gotta ask, what are the two blue things for, under the bottom shelf??

/ Welding benches #7  
Those are there to scrap the hide off your ankles when you get to close to the table, effective anti-theft device.

/ Welding benches #8  
Runner- nice looking bench for projects! I gotta ask, what are the two blue things for, under the bottom shelf??

They are the ends of the shafts for two scissors jacks that are used for table brakes. A crank goes on the end of the shaft. However, at 525 lbs, I've found the table doesn't need brakes as I can barely move it. I do plan on adding levelers at some point though. IMG_1764.jpg

Thus far, I haven't kicked them, even with the handles in place.

/ Welding benches #9  
From my experience there are two ways to go with a welding table.

1) Build yourself a REAL solid one with a very heavy top (1/2" minimum, 3/4" or 1" preferred but do the math on weight). That type of table deserves to have a heavy vise permanently mounted and might well have some cut outs with a replaceable grid to allow for cutting with torch or plasma. Commercially these types of tables cost well over a grand and some, with cast iron tops can cost five or six grand. Obviously these types of tables are too heavy to move easily and are typically permanently installed in serious workshops. Somewhat smaller versions, maybe up to 30x60" can be mounted on wheels but that limits your ability to pound steel with a hammer so it is a trade off.

2) Go lightweight/light duty and accept the compromise. I have a Strongarm portable table that is only about 30"x20" but it folds up and weighs only sixty or seventy pounds. Not useful for anything but clamping relatively small pieces and then welding. No pounding with a hammer or bending etc. However, these can be had for a hundred bucks or so and do have cut outs for clamps etc. Miller also makes a nice version.

Everyone wants #1 type table but if you are just starting it is not a bad idea to get a #2 type. It will be useful for many purposes even once you do move up to a heavy duty table and is portable so you can throw it in the back of a pickup etc or move into the driveway on a nice day.

/ Welding benches
thanks for all the good advice. I can see where the two ton bench would be super to beat on, but try and move it outside...
So, I'll start with something small, and I think a good project for a newbie welder is to build my own steel welding table, with some seriously large casters perhaps.
I know how to work in wood, adequately, but metal, no way. Time to learn.