New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm?

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #1  

kkirt1

Tractor
John Deere 4105
I ordered a Lincoln 256 Power Mig last week and it should be here this week. I'm trying to get the shop ready for it. Lincoln manual shows a three hole, 60 amp receptacle (see picture). (Machine draws 52 amps wide open) I have not been able to Google a 60 amp. The ones I find are only 50 amps. Question is where do you find a three hole 60 amp receptacle like that or do I really even need one?

50 amp receptacle.jpg

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #3  
The confusion likely comes from the fact that the NEC allows a de-rating of input components such as wire and outlet size based off the duty cycle of the welder. Since I don't think the 256 has a 100% duty cycle, it's likely that it has more than enough capacity to handle the derated current (though this is a question better answered by a locally licensed electrician in your area).

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm?
I wonder if I should also than use a 50 amp breaker? Didn't notice the note at the bottom of that page of the manual that talks about the welder max input being 52 amps - that is with the welder at 250 amps AND the auxillary 15 amp receptacle at full draw. I should be fine. I won't use both at full draw at the same time.

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #5  
I think my welder and plasma outlets are on individual 60-amp breakers. Never once through a breaker, even when I had my Linde VI-206 Mig welder wide open running 1/16-inch wire.

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #6  
The confusion likely comes from the fact that the NEC allows a de-rating of input components such as wire and outlet size based off the duty cycle of the welder. Since I don't think the 256 has a 100% duty cycle, it's likely that it has more than enough capacity to handle the derated current (though this is a question better answered by a locally licensed electrician in your area).

Mark, you are correct on that. I read and researched that portion of the NEC a few years ago when wiring my shop.

OP, use the receptacle in you picture, you should be good to go.

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #7  
I would use the one ShieldArc referenced. I use the same thing on my 300 amp Miller machine with a 50 amp breaker with wire sized accordingly for the amperage. Never had an issue with breaker or plug. It is a much heavier plug than the one you(OP) have pictured and plug and receptacle are available at any hardware store. You can get flush mount or external mount depending on your wiring (wiring ran outside the walls in conduit, just use the external mount type. These plugs are commonly used on electric dryer connections also.

/ New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #8  
I wonder if I should also than use a 50 amp breaker? Didn't notice the note at the bottom of that page of the manual that talks about the welder max input being 52 amps - that is with the welder at 250 amps AND the auxillary 15 amp receptacle at full draw. I should be fine. I won't use both at full draw at the same time.
The breaker size is to protect the wiring so you have to size the wiring according to what size breaker you need, not to the capacity of the machine. It all has to be rated to match. Wire size is somewhat limited to run length also but NEC will give you the minimum size wire for whatever breaker that you decide to put in.
I have an old 2002 NEC (info should still be applicable) that lists the following regarding sizing of wire and breaker: I think your machine would fall under item 1. Looks like you would need number 6 wire in copper or aluminum to feed this 50 amp circuit.
(A) Individual Welders. The rated ampacity for conductors
for individual welders shall comply with the following:
(1) The ampacity of the supply conductors for a welder
that may be operated at different times at different values
of primary current or duty cycle shall not be less
than 70 percent of the rated primary current for seam
and automatically fed welders and 50 percent of the
rated primary current for manually operated nonautomatic
welders.
(2) The ampacity of the supply conductors for a welder
wired for a specific operation for which the actual primary
current and duty cycle are known and remain
unchanged shall not be less than the product of the
actual primary current and the multiplier specified in
Table 630.31(A) for the duty cycle at which the welder
will be operated.

Last edited:
   / New Lincoln 256 Power Mig - Manual calls for 60 amp receptacle... hmmmm? #10  
Your machine will come with the plug. You need this receptacle to match: Shop Cooper Wiring Devices 50-Amp 250-Volt Black 3-Wire Plug at Lowes.com

The manual states to use a 60amp breaker and a minimum of #10 AWG wire. Shop Square D Homeline 60-Amp Double-Pole Circuit Breaker at Lowes.com
That manual is a POS for advice, #10 wire wont carry a welding machine load of 30 amps much less 60. OP stated the machine rated input load was 52 amps so per NEC you can take that X 70% for the rated wiring and breaker. This is because the machine will never be ran full time at max load due to the duty rating. My 300 AMP Miller CC/CV AC/DC machine only pull 50 amp at full load with a 60% duty cycle. I have it on a 50 amp breaker which is above the code requirements.