All your welding tips and advice paid off

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #11  
My wife has a girl friend who is a rod buster, when ever she stops by I beat her out of a roll or two.:D

There are just so many ways you could read that sentence
lol-045.gif

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #12  
Great job TD, super looking welds!
bravo-009.gif
respect-040.GIF

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #14  
Zip ties will certainly work. Tie wire is so common for me. My wife has a girl friend who is a rod buster, when ever she stops by I beat her out of a roll or two.:D

Here is what I was saying about using a strand of wire rope. I'm not use to working with shackles this small. The second picture is more of what I worked with.

that strand of wire rope is some kind of SERIOUS protection against loss of the bolt. However, how do you get the shackle apart with that thing on there? Do you need to cut it? Looks like you'd need a substantial tool to cut that too.

Benefit of zip ties is that you can break them with the same screwdriver or point that you will use to loosen the shackle bolt.

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #15  
You only use the wire rope strand if you want the shackle to stay in place on a semi permanent basis. We would do this in the boom tip of cranes. Sometimes we would run out of tail holds in the boom tip, we would cut one eye off a chocker run that end over a sheave not being used, place a wedge socket on the cut off end. And use a shackle to marry the two wedge sockets, and the eye of the choker together. Now in a situation like this you do not want to trust tie wire or a zip tie! ;)

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #16  
Zip ties will certainly work. Tie wire is so common for me. My wife has a girl friend who is a rod buster, when ever she stops by I beat her out of a roll or two.:D

The latest entry on the List of 10 Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't!:thumbsup:

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #17  
You only use the wire rope strand if you want the shackle to stay in place on a semi permanent basis. We would do this in the boom tip of cranes. Sometimes we would run out of tail holds in the boom tip, we would cut one eye off a chocker run that end over a sheave not being used, place a wedge socket on the cut off end. And use a shackle to marry the two wedge sockets, and the eye of the choker together. Now in a situation like this you do not want to trust tie wire or a zip tie! ;)

That makes sense. I've never had Monel tie wire come apart on a shackle but then again I've never had to trust it in serious overhead rigging situations either.

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #18  
In my case the things I dealt with the problem with tie wire and zip ties, another wire rope could rub against the tie wire or zip ties and cut them. When you have this amount of things hanging from the boom tip for months or over a year with out ever coming down you can't run that risk! ;)

Attachments

• D.B. Seattle 3.JPG
    D.B. Seattle 3.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 109
   / All your welding tips and advice paid off #19  
Hey I remember your original thread, your project turned out great! Very fine job.

/ All your welding tips and advice paid off #20  
wow, that is really impressive. I'm curious about the size of the hooks you used. They are larger than the ones the dealer welded
onto my FEL, which is a size larger than yours. I was told that's the right size for 3/8 chain. I looked at the small hooks rather skeptically, particularly when my one nice piece of chain won't fit in the smaller hooks.

As far as the bucket shackle, which I really like, are you pulling anything really heavy with that? Or just lifting?
I'm clearing downed trees out of the woods and due to inexperience am not sure when the drawbar must be used, or if I can pull
backwards using the FEL. And a nifty shackle like yours.