Long Term storage of metal working devices

/ Long Term storage of metal working devices #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Between work, and life, I get less time with my new mig than I would like. It got me thinking, do I need to do anything special, including expendables, for the gear I have. We live in the PNW, lots of moisture.

I was wondering if I should detension the roller in the Lincoln, then it got me thinking about corosion, rust, blah blah blah. I know about keeping rods dry as possible, but was unsure about Wire spools.

Oxy Acet is brand new, so still figuring it out.

Oxy Acet (new Victor)
Lincoln 140 (cheaper version - only one roller)
Lincoln ACDC tombstone
Dewalt Chopsaw
Dewalt Portaband
Various 4 and 7" grinders
Welding table that must sit under eaves

Any care, maintenance, even the simple stuff you would think someone should just know would be taken with a smile.

Last edited:
   / Long Term storage of metal working devices #2  
I always try to remember to remove the spools of wire from my wire feeders, unless I'm going to use them the next day. I place them back in the plastic bag, and in the cardboard box, then place them in a storage locker.

Attachments

• wire 22.JPG
    wire 22.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 487
   / Long Term storage of metal working devices #5  
I am too lazy to remove my wire when my wire feeder is stored (although I know that I should do it). That said, I only use Hobart 2 lb spools. That way at least the wire does get changed out a little more often. I bought a 10lb spool once and it took me forever to use that one up so I avoid those now even though it is slightly cheaper to buy wire in bulk. Also, I rarely weld anything critical anyway so no big deal in my backyard shop for my applications.