Which MIG wire is the best.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #31  
The 2# and 10# Radnor are Lincoln Sure Arc made in Mexico. The larger spools and drums are National Standard, made in Oklahoma. L-56 is surely the benchmark wire but ESAB 86 is very good as well. Most people wouldn't know the difference between 90 cent wire and 2 dollar wire and it really doesn't matter unless you are in production or sell your product to the public. Praxair Pro-Star wire is sold as a lower cost wire but is good enough that Bob Cat makes their skid loaders with it.

/ Which MIG wire is the best.
So taking the advice of the TBN braintrust I picked up a cheater lens. Wow I can see and that helped. I also picked up a better solid brass ground clamp and that made a difference. I also practiced some more and that always helps. Here are a few pics of the welds.

ForumRunner_20130401_103943.png

ForumRunner_20130401_104007.png

ForumRunner_20130401_104057.png

This is the jeep that I am getting ready to repair and upgrade. It has some rust issues but has a lot of life left.

I also shortened the stick out. That also helped

Well I ordered the floor pan for the jeep that I am getting into running order. I resist saying rebuilding or refurbing because I am not concerned with a show piece but a solid dependable off road machine that is still a good highway vehicle. The metal is 18 gauge which is 0.050" or right at 1/20" thick so it should easier to weld than the 0.030 thick 22 gauge practice metal. I will post pics of the rookie sheetmetal welds as soon as I get it in. If any experienced sheet metal body men have words of wisdo I am all ears. I plan on stich welding in about 2" and jumping to another side till its welded all around.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #35  
Once you can see correctly and have the right gas, you can look again at wire. If you have a gun less than 15' you can get nice welds with ESAB Easy Grind .023 wire ( .030 avail too ) This wire has no real AWS spec because it has added Silicon. It flows nice and grinds better. Still has a good tensile strength. With proper gun angle you will get no spatter but you will get silicon islands that will need to be removed if you plan to paint your welds. I have welded a lot of 28ga. with EG.023. good luck.

Once you can see correctly and have the right gas, you can look again at wire. If you have a gun less than 15' you can get nice welds with ESAB Easy Grind .023 wire ( .030 avail too ) This wire has no real AWS spec because it has added Silicon. It flows nice and grinds better. Still has a good tensile strength. With proper gun angle you will get no spatter but you will get silicon islands that will need to be removed if you plan to paint your welds. I have welded a lot of 28ga. with EG.023. good luck.
I tried some .023 and I keep getting he bird nest thing at the drive wheel. The .030 Lincoln seems to be working well but I may try the ESAB wire next spool.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #37  
One thing I like to do is spot weld sheet metal repairs. If at all possible I try to replace the whole panel by using a 4 1/2" grinder to remove the metal on the bad panel at each spot weld then I punch holes on the new panel at the same distance the spot welds were. I simply clamp the two pieces of metal together and fill in the holes with the MIG. I've never gotten any warp and it's just as strong as the original weld. Plus, if you want, you can touch the welds up with the grinder and the repair is almost invisible. My Lincoln has a timed setting that works well for doing this type of welding.

One thing I like to do is spot weld sheet metal repairs. If at all possible I try to replace the whole panel by using a 4 1/2" grinder to remove the metal on the bad panel at each spot weld then I punch holes on the new panel at the same distance the spot welds were. I simply clamp the two pieces of metal together and fill in the holes with the MIG. I've never gotten any warp and it's just as strong as the original weld. Plus, if you want, you can touch the welds up with the grinder and the repair is almost invisible. My Lincoln has a timed setting that works well for doing this type of welding.
I am going to stich weld the pan with a preformed piece and grind out all the rust and lap the pieces about 1 inch or so. Thanks for the advice.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #39  
Autobody welding is a series of tacks. Unless you're really good, don't try to do welds of any length. If you don't burn through, you'll have more warpage from the heat. Put tacks every 6", then every 3", etc. and keep jumping around to limit heat input until the whole seam is tacked. Then grind it flat but also be careful how hot it gets.

I will take this advice. I plan on small tacks all around but it wool be totally welded. I am going to lap joint it though it would be nearly impossible for me to fillet weld as I wouldn't be able to get the gap consistent.