Which MIG wire is the best.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #41  
It's still considered welded when all the tacks join together. I think you're confused about different types of welds. If you have a lap joint, you will have a fillet weld but it won't seem like it on thin sheet metal. A butt weld can use a gap and/or a keyhole. Imagine you're welding 1/2" plate instead of 20 gauge for your lap joint and it's easy to see its a fillet weld. A fillet weld is basically a triangle shape weld in a corner or on an edge.

/ Which MIG wire is the best.
Yes it will be a fillet weld and a lap joint that is stiched welded all around and stich welded again after it cools to try and keep warpage to a minimum. i wouldnt attempt to but weld this pan. I dont have the tools or skills to get that odd shaped precision cut and matched for a correct but weld. A man has to know his limitations. I have this jeep in about a hundred pieces with the axles out the gas tank off a couple of places cut out of the frame. Changing the gear ratio from 3.07:1 to 4.11:1 and have installed limited slip diffs front(Detroit Tru Trac) and rear(ford 8.8 axle with a Track Lock with carbon fiber clutches). Lot of activity on this old Jeep YJ 1995 model.

Well I started welding the floor pan panel in here is a pic of my horrible mig welds lol

ForumRunner_20130430_133409.png

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #45  
Guys, while I am not a body man I have done some panel replacement work, like the complete side of a chevy van as example.
I borrowed a technique from aviation where we use CLEKO temporary fasteners to align and temporarily fasten panels.
I overlap the panel and drill a 1/8 hole every 3-4" and fasten with clekos to keep everything in alignment and then proceed to weld contentiously removing the next cleko when I am about an inch or so away.
The cleko temporary fastener keeps everything in alignment and heat can't distort the panel.
Oh, and that is with brass and torch. Imagine the great job using wire weld!
You could also use POP rivets or metal screws to immobilize your panels while welding.
Naturally those little holes need filling later on.

A CLEKO is like a tiny pair of fingers that are spring loaded, fit in the hole, grab underneath and pull the two sheets up tight just like a bolt would do.
They use special pliers to insert and remove. Real fast and easy. You can find on EBay.

Guys, while I am not a body man I have done some panel replacement work, like the complete side of a chevy van as example.
I borrowed a technique from aviation where we use CLEKO temporary fasteners to align and temporarily fasten panels.
I overlap the panel and drill a 1/8 hole every 3-4" and fasten with clekos to keep everything in alignment and then proceed to weld contentiously removing the next cleko when I am about an inch or so away.
The cleko temporary fastener keeps everything in alignment and heat can't distort the panel.
Oh, and that is with brass and torch. Imagine the great job using wire weld!
You could also use POP rivets or metal screws to immobilize your panels while welding.
Naturally those little holes need filling later on.

A CLEKO is like a tiny pair of fingers that are spring loaded, fit in the hole, grab underneath and pull the two sheets up tight just like a bolt would do.
They use special pliers to insert and remove. Real fast and easy. You can find on EBay.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a tight fit and the panel to is going in well.

Here is another from this evening. Mind you there is grinding and clean up but it's not coming loose. I weld around and let it cool.

ForumRunner_20130430_223054.png