Magic steel

/ Magic steel #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I needed to build some cages for my fruit trees and I remembered that there were still a couple of 20' pieces of #4 rebar left over from my house build 7 years ago. These have been laying on the ground unprotected in the open for the entire 7 years.

Must be some kind of Magic Steel, it doesn't rust.

Rebar.jpg

/ Magic steel #2  
it may have something to do with your location.... :)

/ Magic steel #3  
It could be galvanized, but it looks too dark to a galvanized coating. It's possible that it's a painted coating that looks a lot like the original steel. try looking at the cut ends, or cutting a little off the end and exposing it to moisture. If it still doesn't rust, maybe the recycled alloy they used to make it is corrosion resistant, hard to believe it would be some sort of stainless alloy though, as they weed out the more expensive metals when recycling...

/ Magic steel
Im thinking.

It is kinda dry out here, but 7 years?

Rebar is mostly made from recycled steel, so maybe this batch contained a bunch of stainless or moly.

/ Magic steel #6  
   / Magic steel #7  
Doesn't look like epoxy coated ( thanks JJ for the link) but more likely sprayed with oil or such. Desert conditions are more likely the reason for so little rust. Bring it East and it'll rust for sure.

/ Magic steel #9  
Doesn't look like epoxy coated ( thanks JJ for the link) but more likely sprayed with oil or such. Desert conditions are more likely the reason for so little rust. Bring it East and it'll rust for sure.

Likely not oil...after all that's what the concrete guys use to get their forms to release...Wouldn't work well trying to get the concrete to bond to the rebar.

/ Magic steel #10  
There are a few companies out there marketing a basalt rebar, but I don't think there's any iron content in those products...