What caused this

/ What caused this #11  
HEY! Lets not be running down those 120-volt Mig machines! I just bought one. :laughing:

Attachments

• 120-v Mig gun.jpg
    120-v Mig gun.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 128
   / What caused this #12  
A shallow penetrating Mig weld is likely what facilitated the crack in the first place.

The original weld didn't get hot enough. Left a nonconformity(different grain sizes) with the parent metal that became evident when a hot fire was lit.:)

/ What caused this
I'd shoot them an email. & pics. I'd say it's due to expansion issues with heating/cooling cycles, but that is a guess. They may have issues with this model. Post this over at hearth.com, that link I sent you the other day.

Come to find out, they certainly do have issues. The stove has a lifetime warranty but from what I am reading, all they have to say is "you over fired the stove voiding the warranty". I personally do not think anything like this should be happening to a wood stove or if it does, do not make up some cockamamy excuse not to fix it.

/ What caused this #14  
Oh, well yeah it is definitely your fault! Did you not read the small print in the warranty where it says you are only suppose to look at the stove, not to ever use it?:rolleyes:

Reminds me of a time I knocked a brand new 4-pound hammer off some stagging that belonged to my partner. Cracked the wooden handle. I said I would go to Sears and get him a new one. Once in the store I was informed Sears only guarantees the steel part! When I showed them that the words Craftsman were on the handle, they still wouldn't replace the hammer. Once I expressed my displeasure with Sears I got new one.:D

/ What caused this #15  
Sounds like most lifetime warranties, only good for life of the product so when it breaks or wears out, that was the life of it so no more warranty. Reminds me of the restaurant that advertised all you can eat for $5 so when the customer wanted more, they said you need to give me another $5. That plate full WAS ALL YOU CAN EAT FOR $5

/ What caused this #16  
HEY! Lets not be running down those 120-volt Mig machines! I just bought one. :laughing:

I would expect that to hold just about as good as a 110V MIG would do.

/ What caused this #19  
I think that's what they used on these "welds" for the forklift attachment hooks on this bucket.

ForumRunner_20130314_191330.png

Versus my "weld".

ForumRunner_20130314_191455.png

I'm hoping mine holds up a little better.

Brian

/ What caused this #20  
Come to find out, they certainly do have issues. The stove has a lifetime warranty but from what I am reading, all they have to say is "you over fired the stove voiding the warranty". I personally do not think anything like this should be happening to a wood stove or if it does, do not make up some cockamamy excuse not to fix it.

You know what works really well? Go to the store you bought it from, mumbling about getting all their business addresses, etc for the small claims action you're going to take, because they are the local representative of the manufacturer.

Actually, the manufacturer is probably trying to bluff you. Ask them to define what over firing is, have them show you in the manual where this is discussed, warned against and defined; and ask them how they prove you over fired it.

Do it all by letter.

They'll wilt