What caused this

/ What caused this #41  
Carl, Mark was dissing you. Take it to him! Tear him up!

:laughing::laughing:

Go watch Pulp Fiction one time and this paraphrasing will make more sense to you "Say "Hobbyist" one more time!!!!"

Sheesh man, how many "Hobbyists" do open root pipe. I should start a policy that opens a can of (polite) whoop ***** on you when you say you are a hobbyist.... I mean jeesh - 40 years of welding and supervising means you are a RETIRED weldor, not a hobbyist. Now quit it or I will be forced to put lots of smilies in these posts!!!

/ What caused this #42  
Sheesh man, how many "Hobbyists" do open root pipe. I should start a policy that opens a can of (polite) whoop ***** on you when you say you are a hobbyist.... I mean jeesh - 40 years of welding and supervising means you are a RETIRED weldor, not a hobbyist. Now quit it or I will be forced to put lots of smilies in these posts!!!

:cool2:

:drink:

:punch:

:stirthepot:

/ What caused this #43  
A mig weld is not shallow penetrating unless you make it so. That is a myth. And it's more of an issue with a technique. If you try to "paint" on a weld over the seam, nothing is going to work. The metal in that unit is not all that thick...maybe a 1/4". A little grinding out a groove and fill it up. In fact, that is the method of choice it appears to weld the stove from the manufacturer. It's likely from a creation of a large HAZ combined with shrink swell issues as it is. Stick would likely increase the HAZ. Stick would work. But it's not necessary.

Respectfully Sir,
You are a salesman, that deserves respect because nothing gets done until something gets sold.
Advertisers support these forums and I understand the power of "that" deal.
Advertisers on some forums actually have the power to have members expelled from the forums for talking adversely about or outright criticizing an advertiser's products, we'll see if that's true here too..

I have owned a 250 amp Miller MIG welding (soldering) machine for 25 years that has been employed for basically one function -- corner welding sheet metal. Yeah, it could be cranked up to do semi-important work, but why would you want to deal with all the disadvantages and all the moving parts of a Mig machine?

Go out on a big construction job, (where welding lead is delivered by trailer truck loads), 6010 and 7018s out of rod heaters is basically all you'll see. The reason -- when it's important, stick is the method.

Three inch wall 5000 psi steam pipe isn't MIG welded in power plants, although it would seem an ideal situation for a MIG welder. I've stress relieved those joints and know the skill required to place such welds when lives depend on it..

I wouldn't want some 200 ton overhead crane that was Mig welded rolling above my head.

Certainly Mig welding has it's place,
but in a home/farm shop a 250 amp DC welder, a rod heater and about 100 feet of leads is a better choice if just one machine is desired.

/ What caused this #44  
Carl, Mark was dissing you. Take it to him! Tear him up!

:laughing::laughing:

Go watch Pulp Fiction one time and this paraphrasing will make more sense to you "Say "Hobbyist" one more time!!!!"

Honestly I didn't work as a weldor all that many years, maybe 10 at the most. One day I was on a fairly large job welding. A guy in the rigging crew didn't show up to work, I got sent over to take his place. That was pretty much the end of my welding career. In time I ended up as the rigging foreman, then field superintendent, then project superintendent. So when I say I'm a hobbyist weldor that's not too far of a stretch.;)

/ What caused this #45  
Certainly Mig welding has it's place,
but in a home/farm shop a 250 amp DC welder, a rod heater and about 100 feet of leads is a better choice if just one machine is desired.

There's clearly more to this story. The bushing on my trailer receiver tube appears to have been MIG welded. Also, my tractor bucket ears. Those are pretty important welds.

I recall a break test that someone did... I can't remember if it was Lanse, Jody, Carl, or whomever, but the MIG weld held on while the coupon bent back and forth like a flag in the wind. There's no reason that MIG can't be strong. If it's often not, that has more to do with the operator than the process.

/ What caused this
I sure would be replacing them bricks though .

Fred H.

I agree. This break happened above the the brick line however. I would hope to think that fire log height should have little to do with a wood stove cracking or else do not make the firebox so large. Lets face it, these new fangled EPA stoves are way more delicate than the old ones. More efficient definitely but of course, manufacturers are not going to tell you the extent of this frailty as they would scare off people from buying them. "Overfiring will void warranty" Beyond, "no part of the stove should glow red" manufacturers are a bit tight lipped about what can happen beyond "voiding warranty". Had I known, then I would have watched this stove like a doctor watches a cancer patient on chemo and if I had to do this, i would not have bought the stove which is exactly what they are trying to avoid. I feel a bit suckered in.

/ What caused this #47  
Ghenges. They don't stick weld Caterpillars together. I too have a 250, rather 270 amp MIG welder (ESAB). Nothing I have ever sent out has come back broken. I regularly weld 1/2" and thicker plate. I've passed many bend tests in plate metal. There's another current thread here with a "failed" stick weld showing exactly how even a stick welder can get a bad reputation, but when it boils down to it, it is all in experience and technique. My statement has nothing to do with "sales". I made that same basic statement to someone else on a forum before I ever began working for this company several years ago who erroneously posted the same thing.

We have a large rail car repair shop here. Know what their main form of repair is? Flux core and MIG (dual shield).

/ What caused this #48  
Going to have to agree with Mark. Seen Mig used in MANY critical (life or death would occur from failure) heavy industry applications. And for the record I don't sponsor or sell anything here let alone use welders in my line of work.

Just as an example, heavy lift crane companies don't seem to have a problem with Mig...

Oklahoma City Welders (2g Cranes) 6 Positions Jobs at Terex

Chris.

/ What caused this #49  
Personally I think the biggest problem with Mig welding is, people don't run it hot enough!
The 3-years I worked in a fab shop building nuclear waste tanks we had to requalify every 3-months in every process, with each size wire / rod and position that we had papers in. I took numerous 1-inch V-butt side bend tests with 1/16-inch Mig wire. Failed my very first vertical up test:eek:, because I ran it too cold! Boy it was beautiful, but just had too many flaws to pass code. I never ever let that happen again!
I don't know how true it is, but I've been told side bend tests are harder to pass than face and root bend tests.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/237081-vertical-uphill-w-mig.html

/ What caused this #50  
Well whatever you want call yourself, Carl, you sure lay down some very nice welds! Always a pleasure to see your work.