Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default What caused this

For any experienced welders on the forum this is the side of a Quadrafire 5700 wood stove. The other side also has a crack like this in the same location. This is a weld seam on the inside of the stove where they welded the air tube manifold so it is cracked right through. Obviously heat created the crack but my question refers to what can do this on 1/4" steel at a weld joint such as a deep weld or something to that effect? The manifold is made with tube iron with one end capped off and drilled for the lateral secondary burn heat tubes running across the top. The other end is open to an air inlet flap. The next question is what is the proper way to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p3112765-jpg   -p3112766-jpg  

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Is the crack beside that little weld were the red is?

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Default Re: What caused this

I'd shoot them an email. & pics. I'd say it's due to expansion issues with heating/cooling cycles, but that is a guess. They may have issues with this model. Post this over at hearth.com, that link I sent you the other day.
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

I don't really know what caused it. Most likely too much stress in that location when hot.

I'd drill a hole at each end of the cracks, grind a groove in the cracks. Punch a key hole in the groove with some 6010 for the root pass, and cap it off with some 3/32-inch 7018.

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse.
    Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder.
    Lincoln SG Spool gun.

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300.
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    Everlast PowerArc 300.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw.
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3.

Platinum Member

Weld it up like SA said, but do it when is at half the normal running temperature. That way it will see only half as much stress when hot.
    And only half as much stress when cold.
    Dan H.

Ditto, especially grinding a hole at the end of the crack on both ends. I'd probably use MIG though for heat and speed control. It would not hurt to weld it when the stove is hot.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

Tractor
    Farmall

Quote Originally Posted by Mark @ Everlast View Post
    Ditto, especially grinding a hole at the end of the crack on both ends. I'd probably use MIG though for heat and speed control. It would not hurt to weld it when the stove is hot.
    A shallow penetrating Mig weld is likely what facilitated the crack in the first place.

To fix it,
    do what Shield Arc suggested above,

or take it to someone that has something more substantial than the "toy" Mig solder placers most folks mistakenly call welding machines.

In welding and sex, there is no substitute for maximum penetration. Know how to use your rod.
    "I know the end of humanity is near when my tractor comes with a place to store and plug in a cell phone, but no tool box" -- God's Country

A mig weld is not shallow penetrating unless you make it so. That is a myth. And it's more of an issue with a technique. If you try to "paint" on a weld over the seam, nothing is going to work. The metal in that unit is not all that thick...maybe a 1/4". A little grinding out a groove and fill it up. In fact, that is the method of choice it appears to weld the stove from the manufacturer. It's likely from a creation of a large HAZ combined with shrink swell issues as it is. Stick would likely increase the HAZ. Stick would work. But it's not necessary.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!

Tractor
    MF GC2410

Quote Originally Posted by ghenges View Post
    A shallow penetrating Mig weld is likely what facilitated the crack in the first place.

To fix it,
    do what Shield Arc suggested above,

or take it to someone that has something more substantial than the "toy" Mig solder placers most folks mistakenly call welding machines.

In welding and sex, there is no substitute for maximum penetration. Know how to use your rod.
    MIG welders are not toys They build the world just as much as STICK, TIG, Brazing and Spot Welders. No they certainly are not anymore a "toy" as is the rest of them. No mistake-MIGs are here to stay commercially and residentially.

And as for ghenges's opinion-the same thing can happen with either STICK or TIG as well. Its all about the person who did the welding and the conditions. I think thats what the person actually meant-the person not the method I think.

CJ
    2010 MF GC2410 TLB, 2006 Husqvarna YTH 2448, 2004 Honda Rincon 650, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Hemi.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Mark @ Everlast View Post
    A mig weld is not shallow penetrating unless you make it so. That is a myth. And it's more of an issue with a technique. If you try to "paint" on a weld over the seam, nothing is going to work. The metal in that unit is not all that thick...maybe a 1/4". A little grinding out a groove and fill it up. In fact, that is the method of choice it appears to weld the stove from the manufacturer. It's likely from a creation of a large HAZ combined with shrink swell issues as it is. Stick would likely increase the HAZ. Stick would work. But it's not necessary.
    I agree that a big high amperage MIG will penetrate, but as Ghenges said, those little 110V MIG machines just lay the metal on top and aren't much better bonded than Bondo.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast